Thank you for your generous help to people with disabilities. I am sharing your wonderful website with everyone who is in need of legal advice.
I am currently on LTD and recently received a package from my insurer requesting to apply for CPP disability benefits.
There were some forms enclosed:
- Consent for Service Canada to Obtain Personal Information.
- Consent for Service Canada and Insurer to Communicate Disability Benefit Information.
- Irrevocable Consent to Deduct and Pay Insurer.
- Agreement Regarding CPP Disability and LTD Benefits.
Agreement Regarding CPP Disability and LTD Benefits
Please continue to pay normal benefits to me under this LTD plan while my application for disability benefits under the CPP is being adjudicated by the appropriate Government authority._
I recognize that (insurer’s name) has the right to estimate the amount of CPP benefits, which may be awarded to me, and to deduct such amount from the LTD benefits payable to me under this group insurance plan. I understand that (insurer’s name) reserves the right to resume estimating my CPP entitlement at any time and the right to resume payment of the lesser amount at any time.
In consideration of (insurer’s name) agreement to continue the payment of LTD benefits without reduction of estimated CPP benefits, I hereby agree:
- to forward a copy of the decision rendered by CPP with respect to my application for disability benefits
- to appeal if requested by (insurer’s name) and forward a copy of appeal
- to reimburse (insurer’s name) if I’m awarded CPP disability benefits
- should I fail to reimburse (insurer’s name) may exercise any legal right to collect the overpayments
- that a copy of signed agreement may be provided to my employer by (insurer’s name).
- Should I sign any of these forms? If not, how should I justify my refusal to sign? Will I get into trouble if I refuse to sign?
- What is the purpose of Agreement Regarding CPP Disability and LTD Benefits form? Why should I sign it?
- They already sent a copy of the letter where they are requesting me to apply for CPP disability benefits to my employer. Do they have the right to inform my employer of these specific details?
Thank you so much for your response in advance!