Should I allow LTD insurance company to communicate with service Canada for CPP-D application?

My LTD insurance provider Sun Life has requested I apply to CPP-D as we are past the 2 year mark. All my LTD applications were approved first time around.

I’ve reviewed the resources on the pages here, but didn’t find the answer to this question.

Sun Life sent me 2 consent forms and I’m wondering if I should agree to the consent or not.

1. “Consent for Service Canada and Insurer to communicate disability benefit information”. (ISP-1618B)
This allows the insurer to provide to service canada: policy info, client ID # and insurance benefit start date.
This allows service canada to send to insurer: effective date of CPPD, first payment date, monthly amount.

Agreeing seems like the easy button, but just wondering if this is in my best interest or not.

2. “Irrevocable consent to deduct and pay an insurer” (ISP-1618A)
If I agree and if CPP-D is approved, then service Canada would send the retroactive payment directly to Sun Life, since it is owed to them.

This seems like the easy button to me as it should make less work for me (unless they mess it up), but I’m wondering if it is in my best interest.

If I do not agree, then I would be responsible for communicating with Sun Life and then sending the payment, which I’m comfortable with.

Hi there,
Regarding #1 - It was much easier to have Sunlife send the info directly to CPPD as they have it in a nice neat package and the consent is just to get your approval for them to do it. You can ask that they email you a copy of all the information they send CPPD and they will. Then you can actually see all their notes on your file including any inhouse third party doctor reviews which is probably beneficial to have.
Regarding #2 - Having the backpay go directly to Sunlife is easier for you especially if your LTD payments are taxed. If they are not, you should request tax off the CPPD backpay or you will be stuck paying it on your next tax year.

FYI - I did both and everything was fine and orderly.
-L

1 Like

Hi, just to confirm, you insurer did indeed email you a copy of the file they sent to CPP-D and you were able to see their notes and any inhouse doctor reviews?

They included all my doctors provided info and forms and they included some communication of me responding to emails and they included an in house dr. review/report on their findings about how they saw my disability. They also included notes from telephone conversations/follow up with me that they documented. It was quite thorough. Yes, I asked for them to email me a copy of what they sent to CPPD and they did. (Including their own Dr.'s report on my file).

1 Like

Thanks for your insight @Laurie . I appreciate it.

1 Like

Hi, just to confirm, you insurer did indeed email you a copy of the file they sent to CPP-D and you were able to see their notes and any inhouse doctor reviews

Hi Robfun, I generally recommend that people sign these forms when representing themselves. People give up some control, but it can allow things to move more smoothly. There can be exceptions on a case by case basis, but you would need to get independent legal advice for your situation.

If you don’t sign the “Irrevocable Consent to Deduct”, they will start estimating and deducting the CPP from your LTD payment. That can cause financial hardship and disruption in the short term.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-917-7050 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

1 Like

Thank you for the insight & reply.

2 Likes

I replied earlier to you but you may have scrolled past it - so here is my response.

They included all my doctors provided info and forms and they included some communication of me responding to emails and they included an in house dr. review/report on their findings about how they saw my disability. They also included notes from telephone conversations/follow up with me that they documented. It was quite thorough. Yes, I asked for them to email me a copy of what they sent to CPPD and they did. (Including their own Dr.'s report on my file).

I also asked my insurer to send in the medical information they had on file to CPPD. I wasn’t aware they had the option to send in their own doctors notes and the notes from phone calls. I hope they did send all that in for me as well. Which insurer are you with, hoping mine sent it in as well.

Hi Laurie … I’m sorry I missed the original reply, thank you for reposting it and for the info you provided. Thank you very much! I did not think to ask them for a copy of what they sent to CPP-D, I wish I would have. But I don’t want to ask now as I try to have as little contact with them as possible … I don’t want them wondering why I’m asking now.

1 Like

@meow, good choice, if everything is approved, have minimal contact with them. :slight_smile:

2 Likes