Do I have to Mention on the CPPD application about being on LTD?

I have been on LTD for a year and now applying for CPPD by choice. Should I mention on my application that Im on LTD? I do not want them to communicate with insurance company?

Section C7, page 5 of the CPP-D application form asks about disability benefits from an insurance company or a provincial/territory agency (including workers comp).

You need to inform your insurance company that you are going to apply for CPP-D. Your particular policy may reduce your benefit payment if you receive other benefits or income.

My insurance company insisted I sign an authorization form for them to communicate with Service Canada (They would reduce my benefits by the estimated CPP-D benefit until the form was signed and returned to them)

The CPP Application requires you to advise if you receive LTD benefits, so unfortunately you don’t have a choice. You have to sign the CPP application to declare that all information is correct. They can’t communicate unless you sign authorization forms allowing it.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

I applied before they asked and I never told them until they asked me to apply.

I should have applied earlier for CPP-D. What would the insurer do if I did apply before they told me to?
Nothing!

The benefit of applying early is there is less likely to be any “estimate and deduct”. :slight_smile:

Turns out, my policy allows for 80% of my pre-disability earnings including my disability benefit, so my disability insurer gets $0 back if I am approved for CPP-D. They tried to attempt to deduct, until I quoted from the member booklet and requested a calculation.

I haven’t seen your policy, but it would be unusual for a group policy not to allow for direct offset of CPP disability. The 80% you are referring to often is included in an all sources clause which doesn’t apply to all situations. You could be right but keep in mind there can be more than one deduction clause.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

The insurer confirmed it in writing that they are unable to deduct a CPP-D offset due to the 80% clause? They provided a dollar value in calculations. In the history of the policy (15 or more years) they have never deducted an offset for CPP-D from any plan member as they considered the plan benefit payment low.

Two weeks ago I requested my handbook and copy of my file. I have yet to receive an acknowledgement on that written email request, but I reiterated a request for a clearer calculation for the offset (specifically the amount of my pre-disability wage - mine estimate seems higher).

Your handbook comes from HR of your employer but mine was also on the insurance company website (that I log in to).

Our plan members always had direct access to the insurer and could obtain the booklet from the office staff (me), the insurer and a 3rd party company we used for construction hours tracking. There was a general online copy available, but since I am no longer an employee I do not have access. Besides secure mail, there is no online option for the insurer.

Funny story - there were only two special and specific copies printed for my position alone. It was exactly the same as the construction union members LOL except for the page of qualification hours. I never thought to take a copy when I left work because why would I? I was going to go to therapy, get better and return to work in a few weeks, maybe a couple of months right? I hired and trained temporary staff, left personal items in my desk and in the building, set future appointments with colleagues and set meetings around an approximate time of my return… three years later here I am suing my former employer and probably having to sue the insurer :frowning: