Have you authorized the insurer to send us your medical report?

What does this question on the CPP-D application mean?

Have you authorized the insurer to send us your medical report?

What is the consequence of saying no?

It just means that CPP-D can request your medical information that your Insurer has on file. If you refuse to authorize that would likely have you declined from CPP-D, or get a letter requesting that you do authorize.

If you have concerns about anything that your Insurer has on file about you medically you could ask them not to send.

The physiotherapist that the Insurer referred us to wrote false information. I asked GWL if that was going to be sent, and they said no.

Why does CPP-D have to ask my insurer though and not get the medical information directly?

I’m waiting for a determination from my insurer about LTD but I’m thinking of applying for CPP-D before that is done.

When you apply for LTD you sign a form authorizing a broad sharing of information-so just check yes on the CPP-D form.
If your Doctor supports you applying for CPP-D then go for it.

I don’t think that question is on the application forms? Where are you seeing that question?

I would never give a blanked authorization to an insurer to communicate with CPP Adjudicators. They can’t deny your claim if you decline to allow direct communications, you always have the option to be the middle person and arrange for stuff to be sent to you, which you then provide to Service Canada.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliabile manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

It’s on sc-isp-2507(2015-04-09)e.pdf (I hope that is not an old form).
Page 3 or 8.
At the top under “Other Benefits”.

Nope, you are right, I was looking at the older version you have the right one.

So I’ll say no?
Should I add a note that I’ll send them anything they want?

Unfortunately, I can’t give specific advice for your situation. I have to tread a fine line and that’s why I have to include all these disclaimers.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliabile manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

ok, np.
Thanks David.

I put yes on the cpp-d application that they could request the medical information from Great West Life. For Great West Life (husband’s Insurer) -he declined to sign any form that allowed GWL to communicate with Service Canada.
I told GWL that it was ok to send medical-except one from the “referred” physiotherapist. GWL agreed.

This is why it can be helpful to request your claim file as you will know what medical your insurer has. If it is all in your favour then request away!

It is only requesting medical information-it does not authorize anything more than that. If the Insurer and Service Canada went any further it would be a breach of privacy.

1 Like

The insurer has everything, 392 pages I think.
I’m sure there is a comment in there somewhere that they will spin into a reason to cut me off.

Jammer if you have a prognosis that your health will be on the decline and you can not work in the future then an Insurer will put your file in the long term bucket and not do to much work on your file.

Files that get cherry picked for more active review are chronic pain, chronic fatigue, depression, fibromyalgia, somatic disorders and such. Any illness that has more subjective than objective factors are “actively managed”

1 Like