Moving from bc to Alberta

I’ve just moved from bc to Alberta And I’m on the BC provincial disability I have a permanent disability file in BC how do I go about getting that file transferred to an Alberta permanent disability file

Hi Dan,

Unfortunately, in Canada, there is no inter-provincial transfer programs for people on disability. It is something that is long overdue. What this means is that when you move to a different province you need to basically start over. There is no way to “transfer” your file over from BC. You will need to submit a new application and will need to submit proof of your disability, your bank statements, etc. all the other info they require.

The good news is that Alberta pays the highest amount of money of any province in Canada to disabled people (almost $1700 a month) and it is also one of the lower cost provinces to live in. So that is something to look forward to. The downside is that because of this the province has some of the more strict requirements to get on AISH from what I have heard. I have heard lots of horror stories of basically everyone getting rejected the first time but I have no idea how true that is.

What I would definitely recommend to you is to have some kind of funds saved up before you move. You should have at least 3 months or preferably 6 months of savings incase your application is delayed or takes longer. You will also need to find a doctor in Alberta willing to take you on as a patient and that can be difficult. You will need to send them all your medical files and have them fill out the Alberta paperwork.

Sorry I don’t have any better news.