LTD and applying for CPP D

My insurer told me today that they will be sending me documents to apply for CPP D. I have been on LTD for 1 year and few months.

I went on disability( std) in July 2016 after being at my current work for a year and 4 months, and later I went on LTD.
Before my current employment, the last time I worked was for a year (2013-2014), and before that it was( 2009-2012).
Now my question is: am I eligible for cpp d? After looking through the requirements, I believe that I am not eligible. But does the insurance look at that or they don’t care, they just ask to apply even though they know I am not eligible?
Also I am still in my late twenties.

Any insight will be helpful.

They care in that if you get it, your claim might get extended past the “own occupation” (2 years).
If you don’t get it then it is ammunition for the insurance company to end your claim after the “own occupation” period.
They probably ask everyone to apply, it is probably automated.

Really? So if my application for cpp d gets rejected, i will most likely lose my LTD?

What happens in the meantime? I mean between applying and their decisions? Do I still get LTD?

If you made more than 5500 (aprox) each year 2015 and 2016 -then you can claim.

It is mandatory to apply for CPP-D in some policies and some it is not. Being approved for CPP-D or being denied is seperate from your LTD claim. They each make their own decisions.

You won’t lose your LTD, it depends on a lot of factors.
Mostly your medical condition and support from your doctor.
In the meantime between applying, you will likely continue to get LTD.
As long as you do what they ask and hold up your responsibilities as outlined in your policy.
It is possible to continue to get LTD without getting CPP-D.

Read this:

If the insurer is asking you to apply you should do so. Service Canada will let you know quickly if you claim is denied due to lack of contributions. A denial of CPP in those circumstances will have no bearing on your ongoing LTD.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

Need more info ? What are you off for ?Are you on std?Ltd? What’s your prognosis