CPP-D Appeal - Does LTD Status Affect Decision?

I know I have read about this here before, but can’t find the post I was looking for. I got a call from a nurse from CPP-D today regarding my request for a reconsideration from my initial denial. Since the first decision, I have been approved for LTD by my insurance company. Aside from that my health situation hasn’t changed. I’m not expecting a win this time either, but does anyone know if having LTD through my insurance co affects the decision for CPP-D? Obviously I have been found by insurance to have a disability, but also why would CPP-D care to essentially pay my insurance co? Thanks!

No, CPP-D has a stricter level of disability.
The reverse is true, having CPP-D makes it more likely to have a sucessful LTD claim.

Yes, I know it’s harder to get most often. I was wondering if having LTD made it even less likely. Guess I’ll find out soon enough!

I don’t think so.
Either you qualify medically or you don’t.
Maybe if it is a 50-50 decision then subconsciously the Service Canada might but I doubt they would be able to on purpose.
I could be wrong though.
Just my opinion.

Thank you!
I just got word that I have been approved for CPP-D. I wasn’t expecting that, so that’s good. Hopefully there won’t be a mess with my insurance company LTD payments during the change in who covers what percentage.

In my experience it is not a big factor. Each insurance company or agency will make a decision based on the paperwork and information they have.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

1 Like

It should cause your insurer should be Moore concerned about more then you though…Considering CPP-D will pay your half or up to $1100.00 or around and in turns helps your insurer so you shouldn’t be worried at all about it either way your getting paid…If you paid all your benefits %100 its tax free and cpp-d is taxable so if you end up getting it just have $20 a month taking off extra Just relax I never dealt with cpp d at all my insurer did it all hence it’s saves them money …The retro they send you will have to be looked at then sent to insurer or cpp-d I forget then you pay tax that’s great 2 G.L