How long do you have to apply for CPP-D

Hi,

I’ve reached the 18 month mark for my LTD. My insurer informed me they would like me to apply for CPP-D. The application is quite lengthy. They told me to apply but haven’t really given me a timeline. I was wondering how long you usually get to apply for CPP-D from your insurer.

I don’t think there’s a hard deadline from the insurance company. I think it took me a few weeks. Get a copy of the CPP Disability guide from David Brannen at Resolute Legal and start working your way through the application. Book your doctor appointment for the forms too. I typed everything explanatory out on my computer so I could add things and edit it as things came back to me. For the doctor I filled out all the background information to save my doctor time and just left the sections she needed to complete blank. The key things for CPPD are severe, prolonged and not being able to do any kind of work due to your limitations. Focus on what you can and can’t do rather than on your diagnosis.

Thanks @Caro I have a lot of anxiety, so I was worried I’d be forced to complete it very quickly. Have you been approved for CPPD?

Yes I was approved the first time which was a relief. Although ironically it reduced my overall income since CPPD is taxable and my LTD is untaxable, although it will mean more regular CPP eventually…

My LTD company also told me around the 2 year mark, or just before it. I imagine at the 2 year mark if you haven’t applied they might bug you about it.

I was asked by me LTD insurer to apply at the 1 year mark for CPPD. Got approved on my initial application for mental health issues. It was a relief indeed for CPPD approval, I followed the steps David laid out in his book. My LTD is non taxable but CPPD is taxable. I do have the Disability Tax Credit (DTC) now approved so that should offset any taxes owed for CPPD so for me it shouldn’t reduce my overall income. I would highly suggest anybody approved for LTD or CPPD to apply for the DTC. The benefits of CPPD approval are that once your turn 65 your regular CPP which be much higher as the years on CPPD don’t count against you and the biggest benefit is I noticed my LTD insurer hasn’t bugged me since I have been approved for CPPD. I am still in the own occupation phase so I haven’t hit any occupation phase which can be a bit dicey when dealing with the LTD insurer it seems

Some of them will want you to apply very quickly. Like in a few months from when they ask you to apply. If you don’t apply, most have the authority to “estimate and deduct” what you might get from CPP disability. So you will start getting less LTD benefits as they will start withholding an estimated CPP disability amount, even though you are getting it.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-917-7050 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

‘Would like’ interesting.

Does that mean that once CCPD is approved and retroactively applied that it would be deducted from your LTD benefit also perhaps retroactively and thus requiring a repayment?

Yes that’s right, for most people they will owe the insurer part of their lump sum catch-up payment. If your LTD is non-taxable you will also have to adjust your taxes since CPPD is taxable.