CPPD Approved, How to deal with LTD Insurer

I was approved for CPPD on my initial application for my Bipolar with psychosis and paranoia. My LTD insurer at the 1 year mark asked me to apply for CPPD. My case manager told me that CPPD is hard to get approved for etc. Now that I am approved I am sure the LTD insurer will change their tune and say we have different criteria for staying on LTD etc. I will approach the 2 year mark of my LTD at the end of this year. My own occupation is not 2 years, it is 3 years before it changes to any occupation. Any tips on how to keep fending off the LTD insurer now that I have been approved for CPPD. I find dealing with the LTD insurer so stressful. I have already been approved for the Disability Tax Credit so hopefully I won’t have to pay too much taxes on my CPPD.

Thank you.

It is much harder to qualify for CPP disability than for LTD. Getting approved for CPPD makes your case for LTD stronger, not weaker. You will probably find it easier to deal with LTD going forward. They will reassess your abilities about 6 months before your own occupation period ends but unless you improve a lot in the next year it’s unlikely that anything will change.

Also re DTC if you are under 49 open an RDSP, the government will give you money even if you can’t contribute anything yourself. And additional matching money if you can contribute some yourself.

1 Like

Congrats on approval. Being approved for CPP Disability and the DTC does help with having LTD approved into the “any occupation” period, but it is no guarantee. They do a separate assessment and approval for these other programs is not “evidence of disability”. You will have to wait and see how it plays out and keep your fingers crossed.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-917-7050 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.