Disability while travelling abroad

Hi,
I have disability benefits through CanadaLife. I am working physically in Canada but fell ill when travelling abroad.

Situation is emerging such that getting treatment abroad will be a better option. But for disability paychecks etc. I need Canada Life.

Will Canada Life accept documentation etc. from foreign doctors directly ?

PS: My province is back logged and hence do not Canadian family doctor to liason.

Thanks.

1 Like

You’ll have to look at the wording of your LTD policy to find this out. Every LTD policy/contract has its own clauses.

I really doubt any Canadian LTD policy will accept a foreign doctors documentation, but again it’s depends on your contract. Also, most LTD policies limit how long you can be out of country or province and still get LTD payments. I’ve seen them range from 7 days to 4 months, I’ve also seen one that said leaving their province would immediately terminate their LTD payments unless prior request and approval was granted.

1 Like

As the other commented noted, it will first depend on what your LTD policy says. But if it doesn’t specify Canada-based doctors (which most LTD policies do not say this), then techically, yes, you can use out of country doctors. But, the clinical records and reports need to be in english or you will have to pay to get official certified translations if you want the insurance company to use them. If the doctor you are seeing has appropriate credentials, and they are following a standard of care accepted by the Canadian Medical community and Insurers, then the insurer may accept the information. There are no guarantees and it is certinaly not an ideal situation. This is something I recommend you address directly with your LTD insurer before you get to far into it.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-917-7050 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

1 Like