Applying for LTD from another province

I am receiving STD for mental illness. Can I apply for LTD from another province?

You mean if you move?
It’ll make return-to-work harder but sure you can.
If you’re diagnosis is such that a return to any work is unlikely then you would probably get it.
Have you considered getting CPP-D first, that would probably help.
I would consider waiting to move until after you get CPP-D/LTD.
Just my opinions and I’m not a lawyer.


No, to go to another province to be around supportive family. Could a doctor there sign off forms and anything else required for LTD?

Sure they could but should they.
I would think your regular doctor would be familiar with your situation.
If it’s not the doctor that filled out the STD forms then I would like it would not be preferable.
Is there any chance you could go back to the same doctor to get the LTD forms filled out?
What does the doctor that filled out your STD forms think?
You should probably talk to the Resolute lawyers:
Free Consultation Request — Resolute Legal
It is free.
Good luck.

1 Like

Changing doctors in this situation is almost always a bad idea. I my experience, new doctors will not want to get involved. However, if you can find a new doctor who will review your previous files and provide information to insurer then in theory there is no problem with what you are proposing. just usually does not work out in my experience.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.