Disability Tax Credit - eligible over 20 year ago?

Non- refundable tax credits . … The non- refundable Disability Tax Credit ( DTC ) is retroactive up to 10 years, meaning you can only claim the DTC to reduce your amount of income tax owed to zero. But if you’ve been paying income tax for up to the last 10 years, you may be eligible for a tax refund .Jan 4, 2017

Aah ok. I have never paid taxes. Ever since I’ve been working I’ve gotten a refund. So I wouldn’t be able to get anything back from the DTC it looks like. So transferring it to a family member would be better. I would prefer to transfer it to my mom because I know she would give the refund to me. I probably would not see a cent of it if my dad got it. When I told him I would like part of it back he got really defensive and was yelling at me. Saying it would be “HIS” refund and he could do with it as he liked. Doesn’t seem fair that he would get to take it and do whatever with it when the whole reason he even has this opportunity in the first place is because I’M the one who is disabled…

Tell your dad you forgot you already applied and transferred it to your mom. :slight_smile:

Oh gee that would be a gong show. He already got furious at the idea that she could get it. Though I don’t think anyone can since I’m no one’s dependant. Unless they can claim me as a dependent for previous years since I just moved out last year?

They probably can but once your dad gets it, would he claim it for years he wasn’t entitled.

I forgot to mention that regardless of taxes, it lets you open an RDSP.
You get free money from the government (grants).

I know about the RDSP and that would be nice. Although I’m not sure if I would qualify because I have multiple disabilities but I’m not ‘markedly restricted’. My dad thought I could get it for the mental functioning part because I have very high functioning ASD, a learning disability, a sleeping disorder, anxiety and depression but based upon their (the CRA’s) description if I qualified I wouldn’t be able to do much of anything. My social skills, memory, decision making and judgement (I was sent to see a CBT when I got diagnosed with ASD a few years ago and she didn’t say anything I hadn’t already thought of myself. She pretty much said I didn’t need to be there other than to just vent if I wanted to. But that my reasoning skills were good) are fine. I admit I don’t eat properly (but this is true for a lot of people) and I’ve forgotten some things here and there (like appointments if my phone doesn’t notify me. I also have trouble with names of items. I still know what it is but the word won’t come out so I call stuff “thingies” a lot and this especially annoys my boss. I also sometimes call people by the wrong name even when I know the right one in my head) but that’s mainly due to me losing energy in the winter and not getting enough sleep. But I have to remember people’s name, their diet restrictions and a whole bunch of other stuff at my job and if I were that severe I wouldn’t be able to do that.

A lot of people get scared off applying because of that.
It is cumulative (spell checkers are great :-)) and it’s compared to a healthy person.
Lots of little things that affect you compared to a healthy person + good application = good (IMO).

Hopefully someone with recent experience will chime in.
I got it many years ago and I think it was easier to get then.

It’s not free money it’s taxpayers money. :sunglasses:

True but…
If you don’t get it, someone else will.

1 Like

Whether you get approved for CPP disability, Disability Tax Credit etc. The rule is that a Government employee does not have to calculate retro payments beyond three years or if they accept it under special circumstances, which most time they will it can be calculated retroactively up to ten years. Anyone in Canada accepted as disabled must keep ten years of income tax in case of an audit. Regular i come tax it is seven years, this knowledge was true up to three years ago in Canada, hope this helps.