Dissabillity Tax Credit Approved Now What?

So, after a long period of waiting and refreshing the CRA website, I have been approved for the Dissabillity Tax Credit. I don’t really know where to go from here. I was approved from 2015 to 2023… Can anyone help me with the next steps or guidance on how to proceed a with my back taxes? Revise previous year’s taxes?

Sorry for the weird writing, I’m on mobile and the forum shows up wonky on mobile view.

Thanks in advance!

Awesome news.
CRA redid all my taxes but that was 6 years ago.
I would call CRA and ask.

Also, if you’re under 50, open an RDSP (Registered Disability Savings Plan) at most banks.

Do they do this automatically? Is there a way I can go through my previous years taxes myself in the meantime to estimate what changes will occur or if I should give the tax credit to another family member? Forms I can inquire about?

I live in Vancouver and on CPPD it’s hard enough to get through with the day to day on the disability amount. Maybe one day I’ll be able to put something away to an RDSP - no way I can now. I’m in my 30s so I still have some time.

One thing that I’m really looking forward to is looking into some schooling and applying for some grants - also iffy in this area since I declared bankruptcy - I think you can’t apply for a student loan with bad credit? Any one ventured down this path?

They did for me 8 years ago but I don’t know if they do anymore.
I would phone CRA.

I do my own taxes with software.
If you do also, just check the disability claim button for each year.
I think all it does is increase the personal exemption.
I don’t think you xan give it to any family member, there are quite a few restrictions, must provide daily care (not just take you grocery shopping).

The government will GIVE you money.
You don’t need to contribute.
It is not much but it would compound.
Also, other people could put money in and the government matches it (sometimes 3x).

With the goal of getting a diploma?
I think older people can “audit” courses for free.
I would talk to the university or college you want to go to.

I’m in my early thirties. Yikes! I’m getting old.

I should have said 60. :slight_smile:

Sebbe - I just received my CRA Disability Tax Credit this year. They audited from 2012-2017. They will continue to allow the Disability Tax Credit for a further 5 years (2022) and will reassess at that time. You aren’t to do anything - they will reassess them without prompting from you. If they owe you anything and you have Direct Deposit - they’ll deposit any funds owed into your bank account. If you owe they will notify you. It would be good to set up (if you haven’t already) a “My Account” on the CRA website so that you know when there’s any messages regarding this - plus you can view your past returns. I owed CRA quite a bit of money when I got sick - after they re-assessed my taxes the amount I owed was reduced quite a bit. 2017 was the first year I got to use the CRA Disability amount and for the first time I was to receive a return - but CRA takes that amount to further reduce my debt. I then paid off the remaining amount owing. 2018 will be my first year with the CRA Disability Credit where I don’t owe any back taxes (yay!). If you think that you have any tax credits you want to shift to someone else I would WAIT until CRA has completed your reassessments. This process can take about 3 months. Did you receive a formal letter from CRA letting you know that you have been approved? On that letter it will also have your Disability Credit Number. Make sure you keep this Letter in a safe place as you will need it for future Tax Returns. I hope that helps you!

My CRA account is now showing that they are reviewing my past years taxes.

I went into Simple Tax and drafted up my taxes from the years I’ve been back dated till(2015). I am expecting about $1,500 in back pay for 2015, 2016. Sweet! It was pretty easy on Simple Tax… literally a click of a button. I was a bit surprised that on my 2017 taxes there is no change in refund.

Would it be expected that going forward if I do not have a job that I will not be receiving any refunds back?

Awesome, hopefully CRA gets the same number you got. :slight_smile:

If you worked for the whole year, that is weird.

Depends if your taxed disability income is higher than the personal exemption.
You pay tax on CPP-D and maybe LTD.

The 2017 year I was already on Disability- it was the Provincial one, but yeah, I was not working.

Next week I am going to the bank and getting a new bank account and inquiring about the RDSP. Anyone with any experience in this area?

I’m also going to pursue some education. If anyone has experience in applying for a student loan when on CPPD that would be marvelous!

I have an RDSP.
Google “RDSP”.
You’ll get a statement every year from the government (until you turn 50).
I think the first $500 you contribute gets 3x matched by the gov.
Then 2x match the next $1000.
Those are bonds.
Then the gov contributes a grant of up to $1000 depending on your income.
Other people you specify can contribute for you.

Doesn’t going to school imply you can work?
I know it is different.
I would research doing that.