Disability tax credit question recent application

Hey everyone. Just a quick question on those who have applied recently. I did get approved for the disability tax credit, however it was only for 5 years. My Dr signed requesting for a permanent one. I called cra and asked why not a permanent tax credit, they said they don’t do that any more, now I have to bug my dr every 5 years. I did have a mental disability and now it is a physical one to which there is no cure, any general thought on how to proceed?

1 Like

So they approved the next five years? If that’s true we are in a similar boat in a way. I was recently approved for eight years starting back from 2015 to 2023. In four years time I will have to get another as well. Mental issues with me too.

Mine was only approved for 2018 and then 5 years after correct. Kind of unfortunate. In your letter does it give you a reason why you were approved for that period?

1 Like

Mine is older but initially it was for 5 years but before I had to renew it it changed to permanent.
I wouldn’t worry about it yet, see what happens in a few years.
If you really want to follow up now, phone CRA again.
I bet you get someone else who might bother to check.

Nope. All it says it “We will require another application in 2023.” That’s if I am still ill.

Maybe since there is a chance of recovery, they make you renew.
Or maybe they don’t do permanent ones anymore.
5 years is a long time.
Try to put it out of your mind.

1 Like

Agreed. Five years is a long time. I hope my life gets back to normal.

1 Like