CPPD retroactive

Hi everyone. I have filed for CPPD and just hit my 180 days with no answer if I am approved as of yet. Just wondering how this will affect my ODSP and income tax when I file. I have been approved for DTC earlier this year.
Everyone here seems to get LTD, but unfortunately I do not. But I do get the Credit Split. I am 60 as of Oct 3 this year. How does the CPPD affect me when I get approved. They told me it would be retroactive but I’m not told for how far back.
Just need guidance please.

1 Like

The retroactive CPPD payment goes back a maximum of 12 months from the date Service Canada “received” your complete application to to the date you are approved.

ODSP and other provincial disability benefits programs do offset what people receive from CPP Disability, including the retroactive CPP disability payment. Each program handles this differently so you should contact ODSP if you are approved and know the amount of the back payment. Don’t spend the CPP back payment until you confirm with ODSP because you may how some or all of it back to ODSP.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

1 Like

I’ve been on ODSP for 4 most now

Hello David & others.
I am still awaiting for a decision on my CPPD application. They received my completed application on Dec 8 2018 and my dr.'s on Mar 18, 2019. It seems, from this site, that others get approved way before this timeline. I have called CRA and it has been sent to second level. Is there a reason it has taken so long. I suffer depression, anxiety and panic disorder as well as a back injury. Dr. Letter to CRA states it is prolonged and severe and I will never work in any capacity again. Also sent in Psychological Assessment and Physio report and Pin speciality reports. Has anyone else received a wait time this long? David, do you understand any of what is taking so long? Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

Maybe they asked your doctor for more information.
It is Service Canada not CRA.
I would phone them and see if they can tell you what is holding up the application.
Good luck.

I have called and all they tell me is that it has been forwarded to a second level. A decision should be made by Dec 2019.
I’m so frustrated and my anxiety is rising through all this beurocracy.

Hang in there.
The processing delay is over 4 months now I guess

In my experience — assuming they have your completed application and medical report — then the delays are just work overload or staff turnover issues for the group that is processing your claim. There is a process to file complaints when your processing delay gets to 6 months or more.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

I have called and they said it would be finalized by Dec 7, 2019. You said 6 months, from what date?
Also, do you represent people who are fighting WSIB cases?

Six months from date they date-stamp your application “complete”. We are not yet handling, WSIB case yet, but that is in the plan for end of 2020.

1 Like

If someone does get approved can they file a complaint that it took too long?

Yes you can. They do take the complaints seriously and I believe they will do a review to see what the breakdown was in each specific case.

I’ve been fighting a WSIB case for 7 years now and I need representation. Hopefully, you will be able to help when the time comes.

I’ve been reading the forum and people talk about the blue print. What is this and where do I find it

Probably one of the articles David has written:
https://www.resolutelegal.ca/blog/topic/workers-compensation

When you say “completed” does that mean my application or the doctors medical report

I think he means when they get both yours and the doctor’s report the application is “complete” but I’m guessing.

Service Canada will not deem your application complete until it receives both the application for and medical report. The deemed application complete date then is used to calculate the retro payment.