CPPD denial letter

I got a letter in the mail today from CPPD saying that I have been denied. They claim that because I work very part time, (approximately 9 hours per week) that I should be able to find employment that I could do more hours at, that doesn’t involve anything physical. I lost my job of 21 years because they felt that I was no longer an asset to the company. I did receive a severance and then decided to work very part time at another job. I guess maybe I shouldn’t have even tried to continue working. I can appeal their decision of course, but it sounds like I would have to quit working together. My question is this. If I don’t appeal their decision and need to apply again at a later date ( maybe a year or two later for example) am I able to re apply? Or am I only allowed to apply once and if I don’t appeal then that’s it?

You can apply again as long as you meet the CPP contribution requirement ie have contributed to CPP in the last 4 out of 6 years --or if you have worked over 25 years–then 3 out of the last 6 years.
You can sign into Service Canada my account to see if you have made the required contributions (aprox income of 5,600 is all that is needed per year)

I would appeal though as 9 hours per week would not be a gainful income if that is the most you can manage.

Was it because of lower productivity because of your disability?

As others have noted you can always re-apply as long as there has not been a “final decision” on your claim. That final decision comes form the Social Security Tribunal. However, if you only capable of working 9 hours per week and are on track to earn $10000 or less for the year, then you should continue your appeals. You can earn some income as long is is below a threshold (approx $15000 in 2018) and still qualify for CPPD.

Now, are you the catwoman form the batman movies or just a woman who loves cats!

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

Lol, unfortunately not the real catwoman :wink:

1 Like