CPP-D Approved after LTD with insurance co started

I received word today that my CPP-D appeal has been approved and I qualify for benefits. I am surprised, to be honest. I recently sued for and won my LTD case with my insurance company through my employer. So I know that CPP-D will now be covering a percentage of that at a future date, and I assume that either my CPP-D lump sum with either go directly to my insurance co or I will get it and forward it. I am not asking many questions here, as I know if I use the search function I’ll find a lot of info.

One thing I am wondering though - I have not spoken to my insurance company directly since my recent legal case. They did not ask me to apply for CPP-D, I did that on my own in anticipation that they may require it, and appealed it for the same reason. Should I contact them at this point to let them know I have been approved by CPP-D, or wait until I have all the info and process in place? I was told it could take up to 60 days, but usually less time than that. I want the transition to go smoothly as I don’t want to miss any of my monthly benefit payments from my insurance company, so I’m not sure what is the best way to approach it.

If you are fighting for benefits, keep fighting. Things can work out eventually, even with a disheartening start and frustrating process - I am proof of it.

Awesome, congrats.

I would wait until you get the lump sum.
My benefit booklet says I had to apply for CPP-D but it doesn’t say when or if/when I need to notify them.
The reason I would wait is because if your insurance company wants to be d*ckish, they could estimate and deduct the CPP-D amount before you receive it.

1 Like

Thanks jammer! Yeah that is a concern of mine, as I have seen that they’ve done that to others. It’s not easy to build much in the way of savings while on disability, so even one month missed would hurt. Good idea.

It doesn’t happen to everyone but they started off by denying your initial claim and you applied on your own without them asking (and saying they won’t estimate&deduct if you apply) so I think it is a likely possibility (plus I don’t think it’ll take more than a few weeks).

Hi Nip,

I would need to know more details about how you “won” the LTD case – one time settlement or approved and receiving benefits. If your lawyers negotiated a one-time settlement, I would assume they would have included a release of any future CPP payments in the documents you signed. For example, that is how we do these negotiations. However, it really depends on what was negotiated. I would get this figured out before you reach out to the insurance company.

On the other hand, if your LTD claim was approved and you are continuing to receive payments, then you would almost certainly owe the CPP money over to the insurance company. In that scenario you would contact the insurer to advise.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

Thanks so much David - I was approved and receiving monthly benefits from my insurer, after winning my case against them. I was paid retro from them, so my CPP-D lump sum will definitely go to them. At the time I appealed my CPP-D I had not yet won my insurance case, so didn’t fill out the permission to sign over retro pay to them. I’m assuming it will come to me and I will simply hand it over. However I am also waiting for info on how to pay back EI sickness benefits received for 13 weeks within this period, so I’m not sure if Service Canada can/will scoop that from my retro pay or if that’s something that is dealt with separately. I’m having a hard time getting an answer on the EI sickness repayment. At any rate, I will definitely hand over the CPP retro amount I get to my insurer. Just hoping the monthly payments don’t get messy temporarily! :blush:

If service Canada has an EI lien, they will detect that and deduct it at source from your retro payment of CPP. Usually there is no overlap between CPPD and EI. You should advise your insurer about the amount of the back payment once you receive it and you will need to give them the “Explanation of Benefits” sheet that sets out the amount of the retroactive payment, broken down by month, year and amount.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

Hello I see today my online services account and there is mention new
in front of child rear provision also new mention in front of federal voluntary tax crdit what does mean that ?

Also in front of address and and phone number it shows improved?

But my application status is still unavailable

It is just showing updates and new sections of the website, it doesn’t have to do with your application.

Thanks I got call today they received my application

My online status is in process now also direct deposit info is there is it a good sign ?

It means they are working on it, but it’s not a good or bad sign, they’ve just input the info you gave them on the system. My direct deposit info was there even when I was denied the first time. Don’t be discouraged, but try not to read into it either.

If I have money in my bank
is that effect My Cpp disability application?

If you have a deposit from them it would mean it was approved.

:grinning:no I’m talking about my money

I want to know any assets restrictions

They don’t have access to your financial records or bank statements. As long as you aren’t earning income over $5500 in a year, it doesn’t matter what you have in the bank.