Company switched provider

Here’s a possibly unique question. My company switched insurance provider while I was on short term disability and shortly before I started my LTD (from GWL to SunLife). I know I haven’t signed any documents regarding LTD since the switch so my question is does the absence of signed documents affect me good/bad or does it matter? (Company is 4000 emp. and is unionized)

I’m not a lawyer but I don’t think it matters.

Contact your union rep. You may need to have a meeting with the union negotiator to aquire the documentation for the coverage hand over agreement as well as the differences between the coverage and protocols.
Assume nothing
Get written copies of everything as you will need them at some point.
Good luck

Good advice.
The waiting period or coverage may have changed. It’s good to know everything.

This happens all the time and there are parts of the incoming / outgoing policy that make it clear about which policy would apply during transition period. Most of the time the employer / insurers will tell you want policy applies; however, in rare situations there can be disputes where the one insurer says the other is responsible, and vice versa.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.