Employee swithing insurence proveder

EMPLOYEE SWITCHING INSURANCE PROVIDER
HI EVERYONE

I RECEIVED A LETTER FROM MY EMPLOYER TO INFORM ME OF the UPCOMING SWITCHING INSURANCES PROVIDER.
HOW THAT WILL AFFECT MY SITUATION? =CURRENTLY, I AM ON CPPD AND LTD RECENTLY I HAD A PHONE INTERVIEW
THE NEW PROVIDER IS SUN LIFE. ANY EXPERIENCE.
THANK YOU

Were you already on LTD before they switched?

1 Like

I am pretty sure the old insurance company continues to pay you.

1 Like

I am on LTD AND CPPD since 2020 and on Jan 22 We completed the assessment of your claim and have determined that

your benefits will continue past July 4, 2022, the Change of Definition

(COD) date in your disability plan. Since then I haven’t had any contact with them until this year when they call me over the phone to ask me questions regarding my health, and they told me next year they will send me a package for myself and the doctor.

. I wonder if the new company will continue with the yearly update or start over again. Any thoughts

Thank you.

1 Like

This year on Feb they call me

It seems odd that they called you. I am wondering if it is it a very large employer? I am wondering if your employer self insures and just hires a company to administer it for them so you just get a new claims manager to administer your claim. Your employee benefits booklet should say so.

my company is small ,I think they are taking over and they should do continue ,my package looks same as before.
The Long Term Disability benefit is
changing to save you money. The
qualifying period will now be 26 weeks
and the benefit period will change to 10
years.

1 Like

I think this will be for new case

2 Likes

This is very confusing…the insurance company that was providing you LTD payments shouldn’t change just because you employer changed providers. Which insurance company was it before?

Manulife , i don’t know if they going change my ltd to new company ,i don’t know is this affect me or this for new people .

This happened in my company. My LTD remained with Manulife and my drug/dental/medical benefits went to the new company. Can’t say for sure if that will be your outcome, best to simply ask your Employer but I know you prefer not to do so. You can just wait and see though, ultimately they HAVE to inform you either way. Hope that all helps in some way. Take care.

2 Likes

It may affect your medical plan provider for any new medical, dental, drug claims. It will have no effect on your existing LTD claim with the old insurer. This new LTD provider will ONLY be for employees filing a new claim for LTD.

The only way this would affect you (from LTD perspective) is if you returned to work with same employer, worked longer than the reoccurrence period (usually 6-12 months), and work longer than the pre-existing condition existing condition exclusion period under new Insuere (usually 1 year), then you would have to file a new claim with the new insurer. I hope this makes sense.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-917-7050 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.