Change of Def/CPPD

Hello,
My husband had a stroke April ‘2020. He had a year of short term disability, then went on to long term through RBC. He got CPPD early on (about a full year of it now). His change of definition with long term is coming up next spring and they’re already “warning” us about it. I feel fairly confident since he’s already on CPP and his disability is pretty strong. In your experience, are you a little “safer” through change of definition if your already on CPPD?

1 Like

Hi everybody gets letters about the change of definition, it’s more or less a form letter. If his disability from the stroke is still extensive I wouldn’t worry too much about going through the process.

I have a similar question. Anybody out there on an LTD claim for mental illness provide any input on how the insurer moves ahead with change in definition which is 1 year away for me. I have been approved for CPPD and DTC but I am expecting nothing but trouble from the LTD insurer trying to cut me off. My psychiatrist, psychologist and GP are all saying I can’t be back to work due to my challenging mental health issues. Got approved for CPPD and DTC on my own on my initial application.
Thank you.

I’m not but good luck.

1 Like

I agree with Caro.
I would remove the “stroke” word if you have good support from doctors.

Warning seems a very alarming word so please elaborate a bit what did the letter state?

I suspect she meant informing.

In my opinion you have nothing to worry about at all. Just make sure he keeps up with occassional doctors appointments and any other therapy needed and as long as he is still disabled I doubt the LTD company will ever try and push him back to work. CPPD is very important, not only does it require a higher standard to reach than LTD but it also reduces the amount of money the LTD company pays out. Because of this, the LTD companies rarely bother messing with people on CPPD - they pick easier targets.