LTD saying I can do other work

I received a letter from LTD stating that come November I will be at my 2 year mark. It states that I can do any other occupation and I will be cut off. I’m not even sure how they came to that conclusion. It’s not based on any medical documentation.

At this point, I’m not able to do any work. I’m off for mental health issues and have trouble leaving my house.

Anyone with mental health issues knows it’s not easy and it’s not easy to overcome it. I’m exhausted at the end of the day just trying to manage my symptoms. I’m putting in a lot of work. Even my psychologist says she’s impressed with how hard I’m trying to overcome this. I’m getting better, but it’s so slow. I’m not better than the day before but than 6-8 months ago. It’s that slow.

I tried to return to work and it failed before I even started. I’m going to contact LTD and talk to them about this but any other suggestions to avoid an abrupt end to my benefits. I was thinking of offering to see one of their doctors. I know they can sometimes twist things and I have a friend who was retraumatized by one of their doctors. However, I’m sure there are doctors that will give an honest assessment.

My psychologist recommended volunteering a couple hours a week. Will this affect my benefits? And will they use this as evidence that I can do other work. Even my psychologist said that no one will hire me with the restrictions I have. She thinks volunteering might help me get back into the workplace. Especially since there is less pressure than a paid position.

2 Likes

I think volunteering is a bad idea because LTD will use that against you.

They don’t think they have medical documentation that you can’t do other work.

I wouldn’t.

Yes they will.

Read this:

Get the free consult:

1 Like

Thanks for the info! I’ll get my drs to write another letter.

1 Like

Your strategy for appealing this denial will depend on the context of the denial. The fact they are denying you based on the two year change of disability is important. Before getting a letter written by your doctors, I suggest you get a consult from a disability lawyer. That way you may be able to better direct your doctors on what to put in the letter. Also, a letter from the doctors may not be the best way forward, it will all depend. You are smart to get on this right away.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

Thanks David for the advice. I booked a call with you guys!

1 Like

Is there any medical evidence that suggests you can return to work? Have you had a doctor document that you cannot return to work until your medical issues have been resolved?
I would ask them to provide a medical report that states you can return to work. If they can do that then you have no leg to stand on. LTD did the same to me and I appealed it with that simple question. They had nothing from a doctor that said I could return to work, they actually had reports that said I couldn’t.

1 Like