What does a service Canada benefits officer do?

Sorry if this seems like an odd question. My cppd decision was made then sent to a benefits officer a month ago and still not communicated to me. What do they do? From my understanding they deny or approve “contentious” claims from what I can see online and do investigations ? My anxiety is high enough waiting for an answer and I thought I provided more than enough documentation. I received a letter few months ago asking what an income reported in 2021 was which was a retroactive cost of living differential backpay and who I see and why I see them. Other then that no communication.

The medical adjudicator who looks at your application on initial application and 1st appeal with service Canada is the one who can approve, denial or ask you to provide additional information. They are Registered Nurses and have the medical background to adjudicate your claim. A benefits officer isn’t qualified to approve or deny your case so try to reduce your stress if you can. I think you are approved. I dealt with the benefits officer who told me what my backpay would be and what my monthly CPPD would be. A benefits officer is qualified to crunch numbers to figure out your $$.

Was just called and have been approved.

1 Like

Wonderful news!! The waiting period with CPPD is long and painful but if anybody is waiting for a benefits officer to call you back an approval is highly likely.

I was never called but I was approved. :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear you are having such a delay on all this. You may already know this, but the benefits officer is the beancounter who calculates your benefits amount and enters information to arrange your benefit payments etc. The Medical Adjudicator just makes the decision to approve or deny. The benefits officer is the one who gets the payments calculated and paid. You are only dealing with them if you are approved.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-917-7050 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.