Tips for sending emails/letters to your insurer

My tips when sending written correspondence to your insurer

1. Don’t try to talk/sound like a lawyer, unless your are a lawyer!
  2. Keep to facts, be nice and be specific. Write with the knowledge that it might one day be read by a judge.
  3. Don’t lose your cool or use vulgar language
  4. Don’t be wimpy either
  5. Tell it like it is-if you can’t prove it, don’t write it.

example:
I have complied with all treatments. I have documented my claim. I have asked for help, and now you’ve chosen to delay or wrongfully deny my claim. It’s hurt me, my family, my ability to pay my bills, and you’re causing serious harm to all of us, which isn’t fair.

For my records I am requesting a complete copy of my claim file.
To understand what is required please send me a copy of Master policy.

I don’t understand your position. Can you direct me to where in the policy it states that?

Stick to the truth in short sentences. Best way to communicate.

Don’t write a novel!

2 Likes

Great Advice. Remember, every email you write will be “evidence” to be read by a judge if you claim ever went to trial. The more you can maintain a professional and reasonable tone, the better you will serve yourself down the road.

Remember, insurance companies don’t respond to threats, only actions. The only actions that worry them are legal actions or reports to the Insurance Regulator or Ombudsman. Writing threatening letters is always a waste of time (in my opinion), and this is often a poor strategy used by a lawyers who don’t really do a lot of disability cases, or appreciate that an insurance company is not scared to receive a threatening letter from a lawyer.

Avoid the temptation to quote caselaw in your communications. It is very hard to use caselaw in a way that will be persuasive to an insurance company in the early stages.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliabile manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

2 Likes

Good reminders on what not to do when emailing , writing to your Insurer. Keep it simple-keep it accurate

Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.
Never use a long word where a short one will do.
If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.
Never use the passive where you can use the active.
Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.
Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.

1 Like