The family doctor or the pain doctor?

I am building my case for CPP Disability and have found that my family doctor is not very supportive of my application. She wants more tests and treatments but I’m running out of money. The physician at my Pain Clinic, however, is very supportive and offered to fill out the Medical Report for me. He said he’s better qualified to do it too. Will CPP accept him? He’s not my family doctor and I’ve known him just 4 months versus 7 years for the family physician.

I’m thinking the pain doctor.

Does the pain doctor have more education?

He said he’s better qualified than my family doctor for disability claims. Maybe he’s amazing with paperwork too.

I just wonder how CPP will deal with it.

He sounds better.
CPP-D might take his word with more weight.

If you’re in Ontario, you can check out his qualifications at:

Checked him out and seems legit. Thanks for the link, very helpful.

Yes, in my experience any of your regular treating doctors can fill out the medical report form. It doesn’t have to be the family doctor.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliabile manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

1 Like