Self Employed and In Need

I owned and operated a pet sitting service for 10 years. After all these years I developed sever carpal tunnel and required surgery. I also was born with many medical conditions which has made it hard to work a regular full time jobs. I am now wondering if I am eligible for Disability benefits? And how I can go about starting the process? Thank you.

You can see your estimated CPP on the Service Canada website.

1 Like

You need to figure out if you have contributed to the Canada Pension Plan in their years leading up to when you were no longer able to work due to disability. If you have met the qualifying contributions, then you are eligible to apply for CPP Disability Benefits. You can read more about this on our website.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.