Cpp contributions and cpp disability

i have been diagoned with PD. I WOULD LIKE TO APPLY FOR CDB ,
I worked in recreational sports as a referee and no taxes or CPP was ever deducted. im behind in my taxes, 2015 fwd. When i called the CPP DIS Office she said i can still contribute to the plan to be eligible since i havent filed my taxes.
if i recall she mentioned i should contribute for myself and for my employer?
im totally confused here, how does this work i generally earned between say $6500-10,000 per year throughout those years and was going to declare it as other income. What do i need to do to qualify? Any help and charts or resources i can get anywhere? in basic easy to understand terms. My overall health is poor and really struggling health wise and financially.
thanks in advance,

Hi, sorry to hear about your situation. This is difficult to correct. You would need to have Revenue Canada re-assess your taxes for a number of years into the past. You will need documented proof of what you income was. It is possible you were considered an independent contractor. If so, check out this article on the Service Canada website. If you were an employee, then you would need to arrange to pay both your portion of the CPP on that income and what your employer should have paid.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-917-7050 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

1 Like