On EI- when to apply for CPP

I am currently on Employment insurance again and having difficulty finding work because of my disability. Unable to stand or sit long, dealing with chronic pain due to hip replacement, SI issues, disc issues, knee issues. Do I continue to try and find work? Is I continue on EI but submit CCP Dis claim will this cause problems?

You can only apply for CPPD if you left work due to a disability and it has to be fairly recent.
I don’t know how going on EI affects your CPPD claim but it means you are looking to work.
I would phone Resolute for a free consult.

As long as you meet the cpp contribution requirement 4 out of the last 6 years or if you have worked 25 or more years then
you need 3 out of 6 years.

If you have your Doctors support then apply away. You can explain that through EI you have been looking for work but have not been able due to illness and disabilities find any job where you could meet the job requirements.

That in looking for work you have realized that you do not have the capacity to work.

It is tricky though because Service Canada handles both.

Receiving regular EI is not a bar to being approved for CPP disability benefits. If you are claiming a disability start date that is before or during the period you received EI, then that will cause red flags with Service Canada but again is not fatal if you can show you were acting in good faith and just overestimated your ability to be able to work. If you get approved for CPP disability and it overlaps with the period you received EI then you may have to pay back EI from your CPP D back payment. The most important thing is to just be honest about when your disability actually started. For example don’t pick the day after regular EI ended. It has to be a logical date based on the medical information.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliabile manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

1 Like