On LTD , CPPD and now on Medical Retirement

I am on LTD for over 2.5 years now. After 1.5 year on LTD, they asked me to apply for CPPD, I did and got approved.
As soon as 2 years mark on LWOP passed my employer offered me 3 options:

-To return to work
-Get Termination or
-To apply for Medical retirement.

Since I was unable to return to work in any capacity any time soon, the extension of leave was not an option, I applied for Medical retirement and was approved by Health Canada.
Now that I am not linked to Employer, what does LTD do in such circumstances? Try to cut you off, leave you alone? I was told that I am now overseen by long duration LTD team.I am still in late 50s and don’t know what my prospects are.
Does anybody was approved for medical retirement and what was LTD actions?

All of this will be unique to your employer and your LTD policy. We won’t be able to answer your questions. My LTD ends if I retire, hopefully yours doesn’t!

That’s the terminology my friend in the federal government had.
If it’s the same then I think it lasts for your life (might be 65 but if it is the same then it is for life).

Yep.

What is medical retirement?

1 Like

I know it is a Federal Government thing.
Maybe other unions have it.

Federal Government wording for retirement due to disability. Has to be applied to and approved by Health Canada, which gives ability to receive unreduced pension based on the years of service. But this cuts off employee from accumulation of further service.
But my question was precisely about LTD actions - if there is no longer link to employment (as it is terminated due to medical retirement) what would LTD do , will they just continue paying till 65 or will they still try to cut off benefits at any point before age 65? Will they still request medical updates?

Oh I see. I think you have to read your LTD policy and look for the wording on “offsets”. This will outline what the LTD company CAN offset the LTD payment with. The types of other income.

I think there will also be another related clause about how much your “total” income can be, eg it can’t be more than xx percentage of pre disability income.

I think these things vary in each LTD plan. Maybe someone here who knows the federal govt plan could say.

Or, gather your plan policy and get a free consultation with Resolute Legal.

Thanks, I already know about offsets.
I am asking if LTD will attempt to cut off benefits completely after person is deemed Medically Retired at any point until 65 y.o?

I hear that some people on CPPD got terminated from LTD. So wanted to know from people who gets Medical Retirement if they were left alone on LTD or if there were any attempts to cut them by LTD.

It doesn’t make a difference AFAIK.
It depends on your medical condition and probably how much your will cost (ie. how many years before 65).

If it is an offset them you would cost them less so it might be beneficial.

Hi, this is a common situation for federal public service workers. LTD won’t treat you any differently they they otherwise would have. It is mandatory under your plan for you to apply for the pension disability benefit. So if you hadn’t done so, LTD would have contacted you about it to insist you apply. If they told you that you are being monitored by their long duration team, that is good news. They are likely to only check in periodically and leave you alone for the most part.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-917-7050 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.