My psychiatrist won't approve DTC

So my psychiatrist fully supported me in my cppd but won’t sign on to DTC.

Since then I’ve had a major surgery that left me with a condition called low anterior resection syndrome. Basically (TMI) i can’t stop shitting. I have emergency D many times a day without meds. But then, the immodium wears off.

Since my psychiatrist won’t, any options

1 Like

Shitting :blush: sounds like a GP condition, talk to your family doctor if it’s disabling.

1 Like

GP or Psychologist could fill it out. That is odd the psychiatrist filled out the CPPD but not the DTC. The DTC requires specific lingo most drs aren’t too familiar with. I asked my psychiatrist if he would be willing to sign off on prepared DTC forms and he said yes and signed off on them and I was approved for the DTC. He did fill out my CPPD which I also got approved for. The DTC it cost $110 to get filled out by the DTC advocate. I believe her charge is now $150.

1 Like

Find a medical practitioner to certify your impairment

Medical practitioners who can certify impairments|Medical doctor|All impairments|
| — | — |
|Nurse practitioner|All impairments|
|Optometrist|Vision|
|Audiologist|Hearing|
|Occupational therapist|Walking, feeding, dressing|
|Physiotherapist|Walking|
|Psychologist|Mental functions|
|Speech-language pathologist|Speaking|

The table didn’t paste well so check out the website.
I think your doctor or NP are the best.

1 Like

If I were a psychiatrist I probably wouldn’t sign forms unrelated to psychiatric wellness. Since you had major surgery, you must have a family doctor or someone who followed up with you on the surgery and is managing your symptoms. They would be the ones to ask for a DTC related to the bowel issues. There is a section on the DTC specifically for elimination, and with your surgery and issues you should have no problem qualifying for it. Remember to open an RDSP once you get it if you are eligible.

1 Like

I can’t leave my house without immodium every day. But i can’t take it every day because I get alot of pain where my colon was reattached.

Perhaps I’ll look into a DTC advocate.

1 Like

Getting ahold of the surgeon that did my surgery is impossible but i did ask my GP to send him a letter

1 Like

Did you talk to your family doctor about filling out the form? I would expect your family doc to be able to complete the form. It’s pretty basic information the form requests.

1 Like

Not yet but she wasn’t terribly helpful for my husband and he has tbi, ptsd etc as a veteran

1 Like

I filled out the form ahead of time for my doctor and he signed it. You don’t really need to do much, just check the boxes. In the comment you can add one or two sentences such as “Pt had ________ surgery on [date] which resulted in a diagnosis of low anterior resection syndrome. Pt requires inordinate amount of time to deal with continence issues per day”. All your doc should need to do is agree and sign it. We shouldn’t have to do this, but I’ve found doctors are so overworked these days that anything I can do to help them is appreciated.

1 Like

I’ll try that. Sending file to staples to be printed

2 Likes

We have published an article that may be helpful.
What to do if your doctor won’t fill out medical forms.

Hi, could you provide contact info for the DTC Advocate?

1 Like

That’s what I did too. :slight_smile:
Saves a lot of time.

Exactly, make it easy on them.

2 Likes

Yep I fill mine out and mark the blanks that the doctor has to complete with a post-it note or a highlighter.

1 Like

I’ll try. She’s new to both me and Canada so we will see

1 Like

Had an appointment with my psychiatrist. Explained how it affects my life and that I’d be asking my GP to fill out. He said he’d be willing to try it gp can’t or won’t. It’s something

1 Like
2 Likes

Her name is BJ Clancy and her email is:
dtchelp@outlook.com

2 Likes

I asked many doctors and psychologists to fiil my DTC. All refused until I found a young student psychologist who did it for me. DTC asked her for more information so she had to send more info. There were some back and forth between DTC people and her until it was approved.

1 Like