Medical information bureau

Could any one kindly explain what the medical information bureau is and how i can obtain a copy of this as well if insurance company Is wanting to get a copy of this and what this organization is? Any assistance would be much appreciated!!!

I have never heard of the “medical information bureau”. Insurance companies hire doctors to do internal medical reviews. Perhaps that is what you are referring to? If it is information you insurance company is putting in your file, you can request a copy of it by requesting the medical information on their file.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

Trying to get information on line on this subject(the medical information bureau and investigative agency) The letter I received from insurer sounds like they are trying to find out everything possible about me medically right down to the colour of my underwater as well as getting an update from my family doctor! This after making a written reguest to have insurer send me copy of file and to communicate with my wife throw email because it causes me undo stress and anxiety and to ensure accuracy of information

mib.com - Request Your MIB Underwriting Services Consumer File I requested a while back for my spouse. Nothing was on file. It is mainly used for investigations for life insurance.
It is not really a big deal–so don’t be too concerned on this
As a side note you can also get a property report called HITS ( Habitual Insurance Tracking System) which lists all claims made on your address. If you have ever made a claim it shows how much was paid to the adjuster or lawyer :slight_smile: Consumer Reports When I was in a lawsuit on a property claim I would ask for the report and saw how much the lawyer on the other side was being paid :slight_smile:

Thanks so much for the information very much appreciated!

Just noticed you have to provide your SIN number to access the MIB which is illegal–part of me wans to file a complaint on that but too any other battles going on

The Medical Information Bureau (now known as The MIB Group Inc.) is a cooperative data exchange formed by the North American Life Insurance Industry in 1909.

MIB is the only insurance consumer reporting agency in North America, and it operates a database of medical information on individuals who have previously applied for health insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, critical illness insurance, and long-term care insurance.

According to the Federal Trade Commission, MIB member companies account for 99% of individual life insurance policies and 80% of all health and disability insurance policies issued in the United States and Canada.

1 Like