IME appointments/told medical evidence not sufficient still

Insurance has denied appeals.Workplace has a joint committee with them for resolution. Two IME appointments ordered - physiatry and psychiatric. Any experience with these? Concerns? Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!

I would google the IME doctors and see what other people think of them.

1 Like

Ask for any intake forms prior to any appts. with a provider-Don’t sign a waiver
Politely make it clear that you personally are to receive any reports at the same time they are released to your Insurer (offer to pay for photo-copying)
Ask now for a full and complete copy of your claim file
Ask your Insurer for a complete copy of the terms and agreement for referral sent to each provider
Never go to any appt. alone

(My humble opinion–secretly record the appts. that way you can make accurate notes. Also avoids a he said-she said situation. Likely you will be doing psych tests)

If you are unionized a lawyer may not be an option but worth a free opinion to see your options.

Make sure the delays in seeing IME are not be used to drag out the process to make you lose statute of limitations)
Really-this is likely a good time to get a lawyer–the IME may likely being used to stack a further denial and lower their litigation risk. If you get a lawyer-do not record the meetings-let the lawyer advise you.

2 Likes

I am asked to go for a psychological IME, and have no idea what’s difference from my regular psychiatrist appointments, in particular what are the psych tests? are these like cognitive tests? how can the tests be humiliating sometimes? I tried to google it but couldn’t find much information. Thanks a lot!

They work for the insurance company so they may be biased.

Search the forum for “IME”.