Harassment from my insurance

Hello all, I have problems with my insurance company. They now want me to see a psychiatrist and I’m stressed because I fear that doctor be probably biaised because he is paid by the insurance company. On a call with the person responsable of my case she was saying she considered me able to work, well she is not a medical doctor. They are sending me to their psychiatrist to answer that question, so I consider her statement to be harassing. I asked to end the phone conversation. Before I’ve talked to her boss and she was very arrogant with me and misnamed me like 8 times during the phone call and it was very unpleasant and I had to tell her to call me by my real name a couple of time, which I find it harassing.
I’ve been recording all the calls I have with the insurance compagne since I’m on the invalidité program so did they. To have proof of the harassing technics and mood swing from the 4 agents that been on my case. I’m very terrorized by the psychiatric evaluation because I fear it will be biased :frowning:

Unfortunately it looks like they are definitely making a move with try to cut you off with sending you to an IME after the comments your case manager made. Beware on the day of your scheduled IME they may put your under surveillance before and after the IME. Try to present your full case honestly to the IME doctor and hopefully they won’t just be a hired gun and will validate what your treating doctor(s) is saying. Maybe others who have had to go to an IME can add some input. Have you applied for CPPD, hopefully you have been approved to strengthen your case. How long are you into your LTD claim? If you are near the change of definition it’s almost expected they will get more aggressive to get you off claim.

1 Like

You are correct to have fear about the Psychiatrist appointment, however, there is nothing you can do. If you refuse to go, your benefits will be terminated with cause. I’ve been down this road myself. A psychiatrist may be slightly biased if paid for by the employer, however, they have an oath and a medical license which trumps the $1000 or whatever the LTD place pays them. If they found every single patient “fine” to return to work then they would be in trouble. I went to an IME with a psychiatrist and had the same doubts you have and it turned out she was fine and told my employer emphatically I was not able to return to work. You need to give the doctor the benefit of the doubt, but also be aware that you need to advocate for yourself in there. Once the report is complete, it will be sent to your family doctor and you can request a copy from them and read it yourself in full. If you feel anything was grossly misrepresented then you can file a complaint against the Psychiatrist and also you can ask for a second evaluation or present another doctor’s evaluation to counter it, but in all likelyhood your LTD would cut your benefits off in the meantime and you would need to hire a lawyer to sue.

1 Like

I have heard the strategy before of starting the session by asking what their professional responsibilities are, in order to remind them that they have professional responsibility. I would probably also ask my case manager for their reasoning for believing that I can return to work. But yes go through the process, do your best, and deal with the issues if they come later.

1 Like

No need to excessively worry about the Psych IME. Be honest and expect the examiner to be professional and that their mandate will above all be to protect their own reputation.

Expect questions about:

1. mental and physical health history
  2. substance use and addictions, how they might affect your mindset
  3. daily routines
  4. you emotional response to the questions
  5. your appearance before and after the exam
  6. outlook for recovery
  7. current therapy and the results (appropriate or not)
  8. issues that are stopping you from working
  9. how honest you are (do your answers line up with your emotions and past history)

They will likely have copies of whatever the insurance company thinks will help. IE, medical tests, past discussions with insurance company etc.

Hope this helps a bit…

1 Like