Https://forum.resolutelegal.ca/t/info-re-applying-for-the-disability-tax-credit/337

Continuing the discussion from Info re: applying for the Disability Tax Credit:
I have been on CPPD for about 9 months. Recently I have been diagnosed with cancer. Should I apply for the Disability Tax Credit?

Yes.
You can have your taxes reassessed back to when you were diagnosed.
If you don’t need the tax benefits you may be able to transfer it to a relative.
You may also be able open an RDSP if you’re under 50.
It is worth applying for even if you don’t see a use for it now.

Thank you Jammer. The thing is - I plan to live. Could I have the tax benefits while I’m ill, then stop having them when I’m well again?

I would think you can get it until you’re healthy.

Is the a cancer support group that can help you with the things to say?

the person’s impairment must meet all of the following:
is prolonged, which means the impairment has lasted, or is expected to last for a continuous period of at least 12 months
is present all or substantially all the time (at least 90% of the time)

Thank you Jammer! You have no idea how much I appreciate your response. I haven’t had a chance to ask anyone at CancerCare because I was in appointments all day. I did have a chance to speak with my GP’s receptionist and she said that she’d ask him and get back to me. The strange thing is that I ordered copies of the Disability Tax Credit forms when I was doing my income tax this year. I was thinking of the disability that got me on CPPD. I had no idea that I would become this ill.