Employment and Disability

I thought we can have a whole topic on employment. There are a lot of questions about employment on this forum from those who are on some type of disability (LTD, CPP-D, Worker’s Compensation, etc).

It is not easy for people with disabilities to hold a job but we know there are laws and regulations that are on our side.

I’ll try to post links from previous posts to this one to make it easier to find.

Please post any information that may help others to know more about their rights when it comes to employment.

1 Like

Whether a person can work while on LTD depends on the insurer so everyone should keep in mind that just because someone else can do something doesn’t mean you can.

2 Likes

Never heard of anyone working while on LTD. Is there anyone?

I don’t know, I was thinking of CPP-D and ODSP.
Probably not unless it is part of a return-to-work plan run by the insurance company.

1 Like

This is from Service Canada website. You can work while on CPP Disability but to a certain extent.

Can I do volunteer work or go to school?

Yes. Without having any effect on your CPP disability benefit, you can:

*do volunteer work
*go back to school to upgrade or complete a degree, or
*take a re-training program.

Can I do paid work?

You can earn up to a certain amount without telling us and without losing your benefits. For 2016, this amount is $5,400 (before taxes). This amount may increase in future years.

If you earn more than the amount allowed, you must contact Canada Pension Plan.

Note: Do not delay in contacting us
If you delay in contacting us when you start working and making over the allowed amount, you might have to pay some money back. Any benefits you receive to which there is no entitlement will have to be repaid.

1 Like

I’m eligible for ODSP and I went through their employment support program that has supports for small business, self-employment.

The kicker is I was self-employed before I became disabled, but the ODSP caseworker at the time pressured me into proven I’m capable of running my existing business that I started in 2003.

ODSP has a directory of employment supports on their website and I found ONE that offers supports for self-employment, called the Toronto Business Development Centre.

They helped me to understand the ODSP policy called 5.4 Self-employment, since November 2017 I’ve been reporting my income and expense (profit & loss statements) to ODSP. whenever I’m switched a caseworker I orientate them that I work self-employed and I hope they understand ODSP policy 5.4 self-employment.

The dream is my business will earn enough income so that I do not need to report my income to CPP-D when I turn 65.

My goal is to be off ODSP before age 50, I’m 38 so I don’t have time to waste and I need my business earning the income it was before I was diagnosis.

I have been on LTD with Blue Cross insurance for 21 months. My COD is coming up this January. I’m very worried that my employer will terminate me at the 2 year period in January. I’m very worried about losing my prescription medication and paramedical treatment benefits. I’m curious if anyone who was terminated from their employer fought to get their employment reinstated and won, thus being able to receive their benefits for a longer period of time.

It might or might not be relevant in your situation, but I was offered (right at 2 years mark) to:
-Resign voluntarily
-Apply for medical retirement (Health Canada has to approve )
-Be terminated

If I went first and last - I would lose health benefits and my LTD, if resigned voluntarily , so I applied for Medical Retirement and was approved by Health Canada thus receiving Medical Pension and all health benefits intact and continuation of LTD.

Does your Insurer offer Medical Retirement option?

Was there a big difference between the amount of your medical pension and your LTD payment?

Hi Vasilva. I’m not sure if my employer offers medical retirement, they aren’t very transparent in those types of policies. I had to really be annoying to them and my insurer just to get a copy of our LTD policy document. My LTD continues until age 65 as long as I meet the definition of disabled with the insurer but it does not include medication/paramedical benefits.

Did anybody outside of the public sector get medical retirement?
My private company doesn’t have it.

1 Like