CPP Disability Appeal

Hi,

GWL requested I apply for CPP disability at point of my LTD approval. Unfortunately, I received notice that the CPP-D claim was denied last week. I am in cancer treatment and the adjudicator is saying that it is not clear whether I will be able to return to any work in the future, my doctor doesn’t believe so. The paperwork I signed with GWL listed that I need to appeal all CPP-D denials in 30 days if requested but my denial letter from CPP states I have 90 days to appeal. I don’t believe it’s realistic to submit all supporting appeal documentation particularly during the current pandemic within 30 days( it took 7 days for me to just receive the denial letter) or is this something insurance companies will enforce regardless? thank you

1 Like

Email your caseworker, or send a fax. Ask if they can extend the deadline. Ask if they can pay for legal help in preparing the appeal. Ask for any and all help from GWL in how to prepare the appeal.

Get their answer in writing. Be polite :slight_smile:

thanks I will request an extension, @David_Brannen is it common for insurance companies to request that appeals are completed for each stage of the CPP Disability appeal process up to the social security tribunal under their own imposed deadlines (30 days?) rather than the 90 day CPP Service Canada allowed deadlines? I am not sure that having me rush through my appeals would benefit them as it will likely result in a lower degree of success.

Also ask if they would pay for legal assistance in preparing your appeal. Some Insurers will or they have experts that can help you with your appeal. If GWL refuses you any help, that is good ammunition against them if your appeal is denied.

1 Like

Hi Maxime, what you can do is “request the appeal” in 30 days (this is what we always recommend), but indicate in the coverletter that more information is coming and ask them to hold off on making a decision on the appeal until they receive the documents that will follow. This is the exact approach we use at Resolute Legal when doing these appeals. You don’t have to send in everything at once. Now, they will eventually make a decision if you don’t show them you are making best efforts to obtain additional information or documents.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.