CPP-D - Late Applicant provision

Became sick and unable to do my job in 2013, paid into CPP with max contributions from 1991 to 2013, was on LTD for 2 years until the drop me, resigned from my job in 2015 due to my medical condition, tried to go back to school in 2015 but had to drop out again due to my condition, stayed home after that to raise my kids.

Just found out my medical condition would qualify under CPP, Wondering if it’s worth a shot applying under the “Late Applicant Provision” or if anybody had any success with that provision.

Provision:

If you are applying for a CPP disability benefit but stopped working so long ago that you are now too late to apply but you meet all the other conditions of eligibility, you may still be eligible for a benefit. This is called the late applicant provision

You may be eligible if:

you had enough years of CPP contributions when you first became severely disabled; and
you have been continuously disabled (as defined by CPP legislation) from that date up to the present time.
Contact Canada Pension Plan for more information.

Yes you should apply if you have been continuously disabled are unable to work for the foreseeable future.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliabile manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.