CPP Approved but my insurance has cut me off right away, help!

I was recently approved for CPP benefits, retroactive to October 2017. I have signed the forms that allow CPP to pay my insurance company directly any back owed money. I am qualified for roughly $770/month and the government told me they have a huge back log and it will take a minimum of 6-8 weeks, if not longer to start getting payments.
I notified my insurance company (Great West Life) about the approval and they have immediately stopped the payments of $770 starting June 15th. I have not received a cent from CPP and this loss of $770 per month from GWL is significant and will put me into financial stress pretty much immediately. I rely on that monthly income for my bills, mortgage etc and to just cut me off like that seems really unfair. I can’t survive for the next 3 months or longer with a cut of almost 800/month.
We all know the 6-8 weeks the government says it will take it just not true and everything takes twice as long as they say. I am scared, I can’t survive off this low payment and its causing me serious anxiety.
This seems really unfair to just cut me off a significant portion of my monthly income due to this approval when I haven’t got anything yet. Can i somehow have this reinstated from my insurance company until I actually get payments from CPP so that I am not thrown into debt and financial stress? Are there rules around this? I have left messages with them but have not had a response yet.
Any help you can provide please and thank you!

1 Like

That is very tough. My province has urgent income assistance for this kind of scenario. Try the benefits finder to see if your province does: https://srv138.services.gc.ca/daf/q?id=1c39e846-91c8-4e5a-8eb7-4d519d42f28d&GoCTemplateCulture=en-CA

1 Like

I would talk to the insurance company.
Maybe they expect cppd to start right away.
Good luck.

1 Like

His seems like a very harsh action by the insurer. I know all insurers are getting much more aggressive with offsets and collections related to CPPD. They may well be within their rights to do this even though it is not necessary and creates stress and financial difficulty for you.

You can ask the insurer to reverse this action, but I expect that will fall on deaf ears. I don’t believe there is any way you can force the issue via legal means.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

1 Like