Contribution requirements

In regards to my wife’s eligibility for CPP disability: The Government of Canada website indicates that for her to be eligible she must have contributed CPP in four of the last six years.
In my wife’s case she left her part-time work about 4 years ago because of deterioration in her health and because she had to care for our disabled daughter (who is now 25 years old), so as a caregiver she was not able to work.
My wife has had epilepsy most of her life but her health condition now is such that she is not able to work, especially as it is aggravated by her also having irritable bowel and osteoporosis.
Can you tell me whether she may be eligible to apply for CPP disability?

1 Like

Apply and find out.
There is a late applicant provision and a child rearing provision (might have age limits of children).

This is similar to my situation, and I am still trying to apply, since I know that I I qualify other than contributions for the 4 of the last 6 years. || In 2012, I applied for CPPD, as I have epilepsy, osteoporosis, anaemia, etc…, and was denied due to lack of contributions. || In 1999, I needed to stay home and care for our children, who are now 31 and 23, and had been denied ODSP due to Household income in 2000, and didn’t know there was a federal program, or I would have applied. || In 2012, when I appealed, Service Canada asked me why I hadn’t applied with the kit that they had sent me in 2004, as I would have qualified easily then. || I explained that when I was denied ODSP, I thought that applied to any disability benefits. || Research has shown me that the Child Rearing Provision and the Late Applicant Form should be able to help, but this isn’t easy, as I’ve been having many seizures lately. || Best of luck to you.