C-PTSD and CPPD eligibility

I’m at the end of my rope. Have suffered from Complex PTSD for many, many years and have gradually lost the ability to hide it or push my way through it. Working short time contracts is all I can manage. I’m wondering if this diagnosis of C-PTSD would be eligible for CPPD…or if I’d be in for the fight of my life?

Any medical condition can qualify for CPP disability. It will depend on the severity of your symptoms and how it affects your capacity to work. If you can demonstrate you have tried to remain in workforce, and have sough continuous treatment, and continue to get treatment, then you would have a good chance of having CPPD approved. If you have had erratic employment there may be issues with when you would last qualify to receive CPPD. You have to show you paid in 4 of 6 years leading up to time you became disabled from work, or 3 of 6 years if you made 25 years of valid CPP contributions.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

This is great information and also a great relief. Thank you for your help.