Another LTD review

I was told I had to do the 1st “interview” by phone but subsequently by mail.

1 Like

After a terrible experience regarding communication and unbelievable short timelines with STD company, who were apparently in collusion with my employer regarding the “timelines”; I insisted on written correspondence.

Even so, the STD provider faxed my medical information to the wrong fax number!

It was appallingly incompetent (cough, cough, MS, now a new name…) and shockingly, I was called out (by my employer) for letting the provider know their responsibilities about handling my private medical information

I believe my only communication with LTD case manager was written via letter or email, they did however did speak on telephone with my doctor prior to final approval.

HTH

1 Like

Your LTD insurance policy contract sets the rules. If it says nothing in yor LTD contract that contact must be done over the phone then anyone who says it must be done that way is incorrect.

If you have just passed the COD, it is expected that they could still want updates every six months depending on the context of your situation. It is not based on fact you have passed COD, rather it would be reasonable / unreasonable based on your medical condition, treatment, prognosis, etc. Insurers are entitled to ongoing proof of disability so depending on what your doctors and medical info says, it may justify the insurer to follow up every six months. The insurer does not necessarily have “the right” to follow up monthly as the claims rep suggested. Rather, it would again be looked at in terms of what is reasonable given your medical condition, treatment, prognosis etc. I don’t see any harm in you getting the claim file in this situation.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-917-7050 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

my case manager told me they are putting me with a new case manager after this medical review and said they do this from time to time, is that odd?

1 Like

Maybe it is going to long term and after this you won’t be asked for medical updates as often.
Try not to be anxious.