Anniversary with employer

I have been on Ltd and CPPD for the more then 2 years. Since my sickness occurred i have been worked for 33 years. Today I received a card where the wish me Happy 35 anniversary. Since 2 years I am on CPPD AND LTD . Is this two years contributing anything to my pension. or just curtsey.
Thank you

I’m guessing you have a defined benefit plan.
I have no idea, ask your union.

I worked for a public company and my employer still contributes the minimum to my defined contribution benefit plan.
It is not much and I am more glad for the continued extended health benefits I get from my employer.

Ask your union or contact your pension plan adminstrator. You should get annual statements from the pension plan administrator. They can answer questions like this. There is no one right answer, it will depend on the type of pension plan you have and/or if you are still making contributions while on sick leave.

You are still an employee so you accumulate years worked while on medical leave, but this doesn’t necessarily mean your pension continues to grow.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-917-7050 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

Would that increase any severance?

When I consulted an employment lawyer about my situation, they said that years on LTD are considered to be part of your years of service when calculating severance under the common law.

1 Like

Yes. A person on LTD who is still an employee continues to build years of service for purpose of notice of termination.

But they can terminate your employment for frustration of contract and not pay severance?

1 Like

It depends on your province. Common law severance is not owed if there is a frustration of employment contract, but some provinces, like Ontario for example, require statutory severance to be paid even in cases of frustration. Statutory severance is lower that one can get common law

1 Like