What is expected from doc update?

Anyone out there been on LTD over 5 years? If so, is it normal to be contacted every six months? Also, after several years on LTD what do they require from a doc’s update? They have not received one for 2 years. How often should I expect the doc’s update form?

I haven’t been on LTD for 2 years.
They said I will have to do a “how are feeling” update once a year but I am not holding my breath.
Be polite but if you’re condition can not improve then push back.

The frequency of check ins by insurance usually does decrease in frequency once you have been receiving benefits for five years or more, but this can really vary from case to case. They will usually give you a form to have your doctor fill out once you are on long-term benefits like this. Sometimes they will forget about you for years at a time and then you will get contacted by a claims rep urgently seeking reports etc. Best to let them ask for reports when necessary.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

Why would they ask for clinical notes and tests rather than an actual update from the doc? Is it something specific they are trying to find out by asking for these?

They do it for different reasons, but often the medical reviewers the insurers hire will ask for specific things – like medical notes, medication lists, etc.

Sometimes the records give better context, and sometimes they can be used to better justify a denial if the notes are sparse.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

I am over the 5 years and get an update form usually yearly. If they send it very frequently your doctor can say that nothing has changed and ask it to be less frequent. Sometimes they comply. Sometimes this is company driven and not just the insurance company.