Ultimate Guide to CPP Disability Benefits - Need your Help

I am happy to say that I will soon be publishing what I believe will be the most comprehensive consumer-focused book on CPP disability benefits. I have been working on this for awhile and should have it to my editor next week. I am hoping it will be published by May 2019.

The book will be published and for sale in bookstores, apple bookstore and amazon, but we plan to also publish the full text on our website so it will be available to everyone for free.

Many of the topics I discuss in the book were taken from questions and threads in this forum. This forum has vastly exceeded my expectations in terms of community that has developed, including the support and quality information that is being shared. I will post links once the book is published and available.

But before I send the draft to the editor, I would like to know if you think I am missing any important topic. Would you take a moment to review the table of contents below and let me know if you think I have missed anything important.

I want this to be the most comprehensive book out there:

Table of Contents

1.What are Canada Pension Plan (CPP) Disability Benefits?
2. Eligibility for CPP Disability Benefits
2.1Age Requirements
2.2Contribution Requirements
2.2.1CPP Credit Splitting
2.2.2Child Rearing Dropout Provision
2.2.2Pension Credits From Other Countries
3. Disability Onset Dates and Qualifying Periods
3.1Date of Onset of Disability
3.2Minimum Qualifying Period
3.3Late Application Provision
4. CPP Disability Benefits for Children
5. Applying for CPP Disability Benefits
5.1Before you Apply
5.1How to Apply for CPP Disability Benefits
5.1.1Step 1, Step 2, etc
6.The People Who Decide Your Claim
6.1Medical Adjudicators
6.2Tribunal Judges
7. How Your Claim is Decided
7.1 Step 1, Step 2, etc
8. Proving You Are Disabled
8.1 Lay Witness Evidence
8.2 Expert Evidence
8.3 Documents
8.4Timing of Evidence
8.5 Maintaining Your Credibility
9. How to Appeal a Denied Disability Claim
9.1Level 1 - How To Do Reconsideration Appeal
9.1.1Step 1, Step 2, etc
9.2 Level 2 - How To Appeal to the Social Security Tribunal (General Division)
9.2.1Step 1, Step 2, etc
9.3 Level 3 - How to Appeal to the Social Security Tribunal (Appeals Division)
9.3.1 Step 1, Step 2, etc
9.4Level 4 - How to Appeal to the Federal Court of Appeal
9.5Re-Filing and New Initial Application
9.5New Facts Applications
10. Summary Dismissals
11. Common Reasons for Denial
12. After You Are Approved
12.1 When Do Payments Start?
12.2How Much Are the Payments?
12.3Taxation of CPP Disability Benefits
12.4 Overpayment Issues (LTD and WCB)
NEW: 12.5 Impact of Other Income on CPP Payments (Caro’s Suggestion)
NEW:12.6 CPP Disability and the Disability Tax Credit
12.7 Returning to Work
12.8 Continuing Disability Review
12.9 Travel or Moving Out of Canada
13. Representation in CPP Disability Claims
13.1What is an Authorized Representative
13.2 Licensed and Unlicensed Authorized Representatives
13.3 Negligent Representation
13.4 Do You Need A Representative?

I appreciate your input on this!

David

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

1 Like

This will be an amazing resource for individuals like us. Bless you David. You have a heart of gold.
I thank you and my family thanks you. It looks very comprehensive. The small amount of knowledge and what I have gone through this looks complete.

1 Like

I hope you sell lots of books. :slight_smile:
I’d buy it if I didn’t have cppd yet.

Splitting?

Fantastic resource.

One topic I would add is the deductibility (or rather non-deductability) of non-employment income you receive while on CPP-D, like withdrawals from RRSPs or TFSAs, passive rental income, or deemed employment income on exercise of employee stock options.

3 Likes

Yes a typo. should be splitting

You are right! great suggestion. I will add that in.

I think a chapter on what people can and cannot do while on CPP-D, in terms of low part-time, contract or self-employment earnings, without disrupting their benefits if returning to work is not a viable option, would be useful. That may be covered under 12.7.

The other area I think I have seen mentioned by one of the correspondents here was the matter of being a primary caregiver to someone else, and the injustice of that being used as an argument to deny or disqualify someone.

It is a little like the DTC, that doesn’t even ask about how people manage caring for their children when determining the activities of daily living. So messed up from what it used to be.

I really look forward to seeing this book, David!! I try to explain these steps and principles when I am working with someone, but for many people being able to read and consider something at their own pace will help them to understand why I am asking for the things I do in order to help them put together a strong application.

– zj

3 Likes

Also, there is that bit in the application where they ask if someone is willing to go for vocational rehabilitation, or to work part-time, which are sort of trick questions as they will of course deny someone based on positive responses to either of these questions, though you would think that is the mindset they would want to be fostering.

– zj

1 Like

Very well thought out. I think you will hit this out of the park David!

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback. I confirm there is a section talking about working while receiving CPPD, volunteer work and the supports CPPD will provide to those wanting to try to return to work full time.

3 Likes

Thanks, it is the book that never ends. Just when I think its done, I find more things to add. The introduction has turned out to be the hardest part to write!

5 Likes

I’ve not started writing several books (on unrelated but still expositional matters) for this exact reason…

1 Like

Being prepared for the phone interview, I get all tongue tied so I wrote down some notes. Would be helpful if the book included what questions you anticipate the interviewer will ask.

3 Likes

Yes. Being confident enough to request a better time when they call. I think some people feel really on the spot, maybe do not understand the implications of the call or are afraid that if they set a boundary it will create suspicion about them, and do not have their documents in front of them to be able to provide contextualized and evidence-based answers.

2 Likes

This is out! https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07TY8WG7W/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=david+brannen&qid=1562541240&s=digital-text&sr=1-2

I picked up a copy and am reading it now. FYI you can read kindle books on your computer using the Amazon’s Kindle Cloud reader too, if you don’t have a kindle. Interesting so far. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, you are quick! It hasn’t been officially released yet and will be going on discount for a promotion period later this month (July 2019) so you can pick it up at a really reduced price. I am going to post in here once it goes on the discounted price for the promotion period.

Also, you can go to our law firm homepage https://www.resolutelegal.ca/ and scroll down the page and there is a place you can sign up to be notified when the book goes on reduced price for the promotion period. I think it will be as low as $0.99 for the Kindle version for a limited time.

Caro, you can contact me directly for a refund so you can get the promotion price as well.

David

David Brannen

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

3 Likes

I want to give everyone a heads up that this book is now available on Amazon.ca. It officially launched today and that Kindle version (e-Book) is on a special promotion for $0.99 until July 21, 2019. After that it goes back up to the regular price. Here is a link to the book page on Amazon, which you can get it for $0.99.

David Brannen

1 Like

Thanks David. Just purchased the Kindle version. I am in the process of writing my letter for the reconsideration phase of my CPPD application so this is very timely.

Steve

Excellent, you will want to read the chapter on Claim Decisions (p25) and Claim Denials and Appeals (p37). Good luck!

I also wanted to give everyone a heads up, that I am also publishing workbooks that will go along with the Beginner’s Guide to CPP Disability. The first workbook focuses on “Applying for CPP Disability” and it focuses exclusively on the application process and goes line by line through the forms. That workbook is due out in November - December and will also be on Amazon.ca

2 Likes