Thanks. Question answered

Thanks. Question had been answered!

No longer can you rely on the change of definition and being approved after the typical 2 year mark as a guarantee of future disability payments.

The statistics of being denied between 2.5 years and 3 years is climbing. Even after 10 years your file may be selected for a more active claim handling approach.

People do get better and often after being approved past the two year mark some insureds will relax and might even stop certain treatments and/or see health care providers less.

If you get an out of the blue activity form to fill out–you are likely under or to be under surveillance.

Insurance companies only spend money to save money, so if they are offering to pay for medical charts or anything be cautious.

Thanks, question answered!

There is a general requirement under all disability insurance policies for the claimant to provide ongoing proof of disability. This is part of the contract that exists that triggers the right to payment. The frequency and type of ongoing proof will be different from case to case so you can’t generalize. In some cases, depending on the diagnosis and opinions from the insurance company’s own medical experts, the insurance company will agree that no ongoing proof is needed. In other cases, they will require proof on some ongoing basis be it monthly, quarterly, semi annually, annually, every five years, etc.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

_The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliabile manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team._strong text

There is no general likelihood as they treat all situation differently. CPP does reassess cases over time. The younger you are and if you are still having treatment, the more likely they will continue to review on regular basis. It is different in every case.

David Brannen

_The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliabile manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team._strong text

More likely to be denied by the Insurance Company.
Reason is for LTD the burden of proof is on you to prove that you are disabled.
Once accepted for CPP-D the burden shifts to them to prove that you can work.

Just ensure that you keep up with all treatments, and see your Doctors regularly.

Always remember a claim is all about proof…so if you can prove it and document-you have a good claim

I mean review in the broadest sense. It can include phone calls with you, asking for forms to be filled out by you or your doctor, asking for copies of doctors’ clinical notes, and surveillance of activities online and offline.

You are equally as likely to be denied by CPP as with LTD. The CPP Admin and Insurance companies assesses claims differently but in both cases you can be successful with appeals.

I currently have an incurable genetic disease.
It is possible (but unlikely) in the future there will be a gene therapy for it.
Does CPP-D keep track of recommended treatments for some cases?

I doubt Service Canada has any money to do that.
Insurance companies definitely do it.

CPP-D likely does online surveillance if they are looking at your claim–search your name-social media search

It is very rare and in fact I have never seen it. The only situation I could see this arising is if some nosy neighbour or ex-spouse was calling and reporting a fraud situation. otherwise I don’t believe they will hire surveillance companies as is commonplace with insurance companies.

I can attest to the Insurer trying to cut you off asap. Happened to me and no matter what my Doctors had to say they still cut me off. I appealed and lost so I’m now in Litigation. CPPD accepted me about 6 months into my LTD and I haven’t heard from them since. Now that it’s been a year since I was cut off by the Insurer my Employer couriered a Termination letter - Frustrated Contract. I have 36 years of service and just turned 55 and they knew I was in Litigation. They figured they would just dump me into early retirement. I’m going to be filing with the Human Rights Commission based on disability and age. I believe I deserve to be treated better than this after 36 years of my life dedicated to them!

3 Likes

In litigation as well as planning to file against employer with Human Rights. Good luck to you! My spouse is flying solo in court but if we lose an upcoming motion he will move forward with legal representation. It will only end up costing more to settle but maybe the only way to convince the other side and make sure his claims are advanced.

1 Like

Hey Ally - question for you - does your employment lawyer require legal fees up front or do they act like s disability lawyer and receive payment upon completion. And how long do you have before you can no longer file a suit? Is it a two year rule? Thsnks!

Carmamel, I believe it is best practice for lawyers to have the capacity to handle all the disability-related claims for LTD benefits or employment termination, or human rights. This is something I strongly believe in because of the needs to coordinate the legal strategy across all of these interrelated claims. For example, at Resolute Legal we handle all related claims and this something you want to consider when choosing a lawyer. Many lawyers will handle wrongful termination and Human rights claims on a no-win, no-fee type of agreement.

It is common to see lawyers who will do the LTD . claim, but then decline to represent the person in the CPP claim, or related employment or human rights issues. I strongly disagree with this approach.

David Brannen

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

1 Like