Letter from gwl

Just got a letter from gwl today stating they are rewieving my claim with respect to the change of definition which occurs March .they have sent me paperwork asking about previous employers and education I have what do they mean change of definition

Usually for 2 years their definition of disabled is if you’re unable to do the job you were doing when you applied for LTD.
After, the definition of disabled changes.
Mine says:

afterwards, you will be considered totally disabled if you are
continuously unable due to an illness to do any occupation for
which you are or may become reasonably qualified by education,
training or experience.

They want your education and work history so they can decide if they should cut you off.
Did the insurance company ask you to get CPP-D?

1 Like

Yes they did once again Im hankful for your help

Eddie, Jammer has given a great answer.

Basically, under your policy has two definition of disability that will qualify you for LTD payments. Under the first definition, you would be covered for LTD if you can’t do your own occupation. This definition applies for a certain period (usually 24 months), there is a “change of definition” of disability. The second definition is harder to meet and usually says that you will only qualify if you can’t do “any” occupation (as opposed to your own occupation). Keep in mind that “any” occupation has a very nuanced meaning that is likely much less rigid that you might believe.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

1 Like

thanks Mr brannen I guess I’ll wait and see how things go next month hopefully they will understand that my Parkinson really limits me and I feel as does my doctor I will find employment very difficult to get thanks again

1 Like