Severance pay and insurance company

Are gwl entitled to my severance pay if im let go because i can not return to work through disability

It will say in the GWL contract if severance pay is deducted from your benefits. My husband’s policy with GWL did-but not all do.

There has been some debate on severance pay vs. statutory pay and deductions. So if you got 6months or more of severance you could deduct from that amount the minimum statutory pay that either your provincial laws or if under, the Canada Labour code amounts.

I am sure GWL would likely protest–but might be worth a small claim and/or an application to court.

1 Like

I wouldn’t assume you will get severance but if HR said you will then you will.

My policy doesn’t mention severance but who knows if I will get it (maybe I’ll stay on the books forever :-)).

1 Like

Hi Alllyhoops
Can I ask you about your husbands offset with GWL re: severance - How did they end up offsetting the severance?

Rupert

This depends if “severance pay” or the equivalent language is listed as a direct or indirect offset under your policy. It is a case by case determination and there is no general rule.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.