Rehabilitation counseling

Im having a hard time finding steady therapy. As we all know insurance only covers a few sessions. Insurance decided to send a rehabilitation councillor to see me. What is that? Why?

Rehabilitation counselors help people with physical, mental, developmental, or emotional disabilities live independently. They work with clients to overcome or manage the personal, social, or psychological effects of disabilities on employment or independent living

That’s what google said.
I think that was written by an insurance company.

2 Likes

Lol i googles it also

Chantal, go to this post Knock Knock-rehab calling! What they are fishing for

But don’t over stress, just ask lots of questions. Act in good faith but not in blind faith :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Damn i let the consultant come to my home. She just asked alot of questions about my RA and Fybro and mental state. I answered her and showed her all the meds i take. 2 hour visit.

This sounds totally fine. Ok to let them into your home if you are ok with that. They just can’t force that on you. Allyoops post on Knock Knock is very good. I am stealing her quote “acting in good faith, but not blind faith”. That sums it up perfectly.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

1 Like

She now wants to come to mt DRS appointment. What is that all about?

@chantal
What’s DRS?
Doctors?

It is fine if you let them in to your home. The reason I advise against doing so is that it is a business relationship and your home is your private domain.
If you do end up obtaining the consultant’s report you maybe shocked to see that there are comments about your housekeeping, how many stairs in your home that they saw you go up and down, if you were able to make them and offer them coffee. Even pictures of family displayed, sports equipment left out, amount of dust or if the dishes were dirty or your home was spotless.
This report may or may not be accurate. It can make an individual who answered every question asked and acted in good faith feel very violated if the consultant paints a biased picture or even lies about the visit.
Pair this up with the comments on your weight, appearance, ability to have eye contact, ability to communicate, and hygiene…it can be more harmful.

Meeting the consultant in a public space or office is preferable. You have to cooperate and participate in doing all you can to get better but be realistic that the consultant is being paid by the Insurer and wants to get more referrals.
It is ok to question politely the purpose for the visit,and the access to reports and clinical notes (you want a copy released to you as it is released to the Insurer, offer to pay for copying)
Our mistake was not requesting any required patient or clinic forms in advance of any appointments or meeting with treatment providers. Please do this.

Do not over stress the rehab plan but discuss with your Doctor and try to have a time limit (trial) on it. If you are presented with a plan that seems over ambitious, discuss with your own Doctor your concerns and ask your Doctor to put a note in your medical record that the discussion occurred.

Always stay humble and reasonable. Sometimes the Insurer will act in bad faith. You want to make sure that you always take the high ground. That said, you never have to put their interest over yours.

The real danger of the rehab or medical coordination plans set by the Insurer is for those individuals that have the invisible or more subjective disabilities. Chronic pain or Chronic Fatigue folks are likely the most stigmatized group right now. Anyone that has chronic pain/fatigue I would advise a consult with a lawyer before any rehab/medical coordination is set up by your Insurer. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ok thank you. Can my Doctor refuse her to visit with me and maybe tell them to back off? This is causing alot of stress and anxiety which is not good for my RA and Fybro. It has caused a bad flare

No way Chantal…your Doctor appointment is private. No way do you have to allow this. Be polite, be reasonable but let her know that at your appointments you may discuss private issues that are not part of the claim and that your appointments are private. Remind the consultant that the Insurer can obtain your medical records or write to your Doctor :slight_smile:

Anyone else offer advice. Please do not permit this…in my humble opinion.

4 Likes

Let the consultant know that this request has caused a bad flare. Doctor appointments are so time limited and you do not feel the distraction of having her there would be helpful. Be polite, but respectfully decline her request due to privacy and time constraints placed on appointments.

2 Likes

Oh I wasn’t going to let her. Thank you.

I will for sure. Thanks

Allyoops is right - no reason for it to be necessary for someone to sit in at your doctor’s appointment. They can request the records if they choose. There’s being accommodating, but then there is asking too much.

2 Likes

There was a poster some time ago whose wife was asked to wear a fitbit device to track her movement, sleep and activity.
This was then to be provided to her rehab consultant.

That is not reasonable. Don’t do it.

2 Likes

You have every right to refuse to have the rehabilition consultant meet with you and your doctor. I would never recommend this to any of my own clients. However, there isn’t necessarily anything wrong with the rehabilition consultant making this request. Before becoming a lawyer I was an occupational therapist and it is common for health professionals working in a case management capacity to meet with a patient’s care team, including their doctors. The rehabilition corrdinator is working in a case management capacity, so meeting with your doctor is accepted practice for someone in that role.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

2 Likes