Question regarding funding for retraining eligibililty negated by being on CPP

I’ve been on LTD (through my union’s insurance) and CPP for about 2.5 years now as a result of a brain injury. Like most brain injuries, the doctors at the time of my injury couldn’t say if I would regain normal function ever if at all. So early on I was eligible for CCP-D because my deficits prevented me from working and were of a indefinite nature and time period.

Now, I have progressed to the point where I feel I’m ready to be retrained for a different career, but I had a conservation with my rehab counselor recently and he mentioned that I am going to have to apply for CPP-D soon, OR get started very soon at my retraining. According to him, if I was going to apply for schooling while on CPP-D, it would cause a whole review of my case and potentially, clawing back of any CPP-D money I had received so far. I don’t know how I should approach this. I have been getting CPP-D for about 2 years now, and having my LTD monthly payments deducted by the amount I get from CPP-D.

Is this a common issue? Or is he trying to just trying to motivate me to get on applying for school? And, is there any harm in telling him that I’m getting CPP-D? There’s no chance I could do my old job again, and I’ve got about 30 working years ahead of me. Any advice appreciated!

Hi Jimbo,

The CPP Disability Administration offers what I consider to be one of the very best vocational rehabilitation / work transition programs in the Country. The CPP Disability Vocational Rehabilitation Program is designed EXACTLY for your situation.

They like to work with people like you who are motivated to try and return to the workforce.

If you are approved for the Voc Rehab program, they will pay for your schooling or retraining. They allow you to keep getting CPPD payment while in school and working for up to two years I believe. You don’t have to pay it back. If things don’t work out, you can just keep getting the CPPD.

The situation your counsellor is describing is one where a person just goes back to work without telling CPPD. Or goes to school without telling them. This won’t apply to you because you are approved for CPPD. You should have no hesitation about reaching out to CPPD about their Vocational Rehab Program.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice David! I will look into the CPP Voc Rehab program.

1 Like