Pt off work scared to apply for disability

if a patient is off work in discomfort for example due to a medical condition but wants to try to go back to work and has yet to submit the forms can they approve for the period the pt has been off (say 4 months)
also any suggestions on what to do if the pt does not agree with what is on the form?



for example if the form says “needs up to date psyc assessment” but it is due to a secondary medical condition. can you request that the doctor take all psyc stuff off the form ?

the pt is totally against going to a psychiatrist but has another medical condition that is causing inability to work (harassed constantly about it / trying to go various doctor about it to get treated / in discomfort / embarrassed , etc)
what would you do

Do you mean you’ve been off work for 4 months but haven’t filled out the forms to apply for STD yet?

The STD forms ask for a psych assessment but that is not relevant to you?
The doctor can just fill out relevant parts.

I don’t know how to deal with a situation where the doctor’s diagnosis differs with the patient’s opinion.
Have them give it to you for review before submission.

Could it be treated if you were off work?

I strongly advise against tying to get the doctors to change the forms and their medical diagnosis. The more a patient disagrees with a diagnosis the more the insurance company will focus on it. Trying to get the doctor to remove conditions is a mistake. If the person does not want to do recommended treatment (like seeing a psychiatrist), then the insurance claim is almost certain to be denied for that reason.

David Brannen

Disability Lawyer with Resolute Legal

_The response posted above is based on the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliabile manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with a lawyer, fully explain your situation, and allow the lawyer enough time to research the applicable law and facts required to give an adequate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full one-on-one discussion with a lawyer should be done before taking any any action. The information posted on this forum is available to the viewing public and is not intended to create a lawyer client relationship with any person. If you want one-on-one advice, please click here to request a free consultation or call toll free 1-877-282-5188 to speak with a member with our disability claim support team._strong text