Hi, this is my first time posting here, and I know there’s been a few questions asked about this kind of thing, but then again every case is a little different right?
I’ve been on disability insurance since December of 2019, as a result of deterioraring mental health, exacerbated by a stressful, toxic work environment. This is actually my second DI claim with this provider. The last time was only for a year and a bit, and ended in 2012. The reasons were similar but this second time was much, much worse.
This week I Was informed of two things by the case manager: 1: I would be contacted by an occupational rehab specialist in a few weeks, and 2: benefits will not be paid beyond the 2 year “change of definition” date unless it were determined that I were still unable to work.
I know I’m probably wording it wrong, but basically they said no more payments beyond that date unless new information is presented that basically provides evidence for my incapacity.
This was surprising to me because:
This is my second claim, which provides support to the fact that I Have a chronic illness;
I have tried many treatments during and before my claim, including TMS, Intensive Outpatient Therapy, a bunch of different antidepressants (including two that are so old and “risky” that only psychiatrists will prescribe them), antipsychotics, mood stabilizers, sleep aids, client-centred counselling, CBT, and others I can’t recall at the moment.
Right now I’m considered “treatment resistant”. I should also mention I regularly see a psychiatrist and a Therapist. I’m currently waiting to hear back on insurance coverage for ketamine therapy, which will hopefully start soon. I also got a referral to a consulting psychiatrist, who is going to do a neurodevelopmental assessment on me, to see if I have undiagnosed ADHD or autism.
It’s really frustrating because I’m still not better, but I’m doing everything I’m supposed to be doing in terms of treatments. You’d think that would be enough for the coverage to continue, but no. Maybe they’re waiting for the rehab person to say I’m not ready? Maybe they want me to try (and possibly fail, with my luck) the ketamine?
The claims person assured me it’s not a final decision, but my instinct is not to trust them.
So, should I start the appeal process? Call a lawyer? Wait to talk to the rehab consultant?
Thanks for reading